23

OUTCASTS
— 23. Parasite

 Later that day, Klaus and Cadence stood in front of Kieran's bed in the attic, watching as he rose from the bed with a loud gasp

He looked around, clearly confused as to what was going on. "Cadence," He called out, stopping when he was looking directly at the woman standing before him, "What happened?"

"The hex..." He trailed off as he set his feet on the ground, "I could feel it. Like a living thing inside me."

He glanced down at his hand, shocked to see the x no longer there. "It's gone," He stated and smiled slightly.

Hearing the news, Cadence sighed in relief and rushed to hug the man. She began to cry, relieved that her plan had worked.

As he hugged Cadence, Kieran glanced down at his hand, only to become horrified at the sit of his missing thumb. He had bitten it off after all. "Oh! Oh my god!" he exclaimed and Cadence pulled away from the hug, looking guilty.

"Yes, you've had a trying day, Father. How best to break it to you?" He spoke up, turning to glance at Cadence before back at Kieran,  "It appears the hex was broken by your death."

"Back up," He replied and turned toward Cadence in concern, "I died? For how long?"

"A few hours, give or take," Klaus answered and Kieran sighed, realizing what it meant.

"I'm...I'm sorry. I really am," Cadence spoke up, giving Kieran an apologetic look as tears spilled down her cheeks, "It was selfish, I know. But I couldn't lose you, not like this. Not when all of this is my fault. So I made Klaus give you his blood."

"Ah. I see," Kieran responded, taking a moment to process the information. He was in transition, "So the devil has a deal for me, after all."

"Kieran..." She trailed off as Kieran practically glared at her.

Klaus knew it was more than that and gave the man a warning look. "That hunger you feel, it'll only grow stronger."

"I know how it works," He replied in an annoyed tone, causing Cadence to feel uneasy.

"Then you will also know if you do not feed, you will die," He reminded Kieran, glancing over at Cadence, who avoided eye contact with both men.

"I know if that's the choice that I have to make, I'm dead already," he admitted and slowly looked up at Cadence, who looked to be on the verge of breaking down, "Please leave me with Cadence. I'd like a private moment to talk with her."

Klaus stood in place, however. He was clearly hesitant to leave her, especially after everything that occurred that day.

Cadence noticed Klaus' reluctance and sighed. She glanced at Kieran briefly before walking over to Klaus. She grabbed Klaus' hand, holding it assuringly as she stared up at him. "It's okay, Klaus. I'll be okay," She assured him but by the look on his face, it was obvious he didn't entirely believe her, "Thank you for today, for being kind.  I really needed someone to be here at my side today. And you did just that. So thank you."