1

OUTCASTS
— 01. Always and Forever

        At Rousseau's, glasses of liquor clinked as customers of the bar chatted loudly with each other

At Rousseau's, glasses of liquor clinked as customers of the bar chatted loudly with each other. Cadence walked throughout the bar, serving different customers their various drinks. She walked back behind the bar, noticing a new customer sitting at the bar.

It was a man with brown hair and dark eyes to match it. He was dressed in a fancy suit and Cadence couldn't help but feel as though it cost three times as much as she made in a month. She felt that it was quite odd that he was wearing a suit, seeing as though it was nearly summer time and they were in a bar, of all places.

"So what brings you to the Crescent City exactly?" Cadence asked the man curiously as she placed he ordered drink he ordered in front of him on a small napkin.

"I used to live here," He informed her in a calm tone, casually glancing up at her after staring down at the bar counter for a long moment.

"Hmm," She hummed in response as she pursed her lips, "Really? Recently?"

"Oh, it feels like one hundred years ago," Elijah replied and Cadence smiled slightly, immediately realizing the man sitting at the bar was a vampire. An old one, she guessed by the looks of it, "Have you lived here your whole life?" He asked, clearly knowing for a fact that she was a native.

Cadence nodded her head in confirmation, a smile forming on her lips, "Born and raised," She informed him in a calm tone, "I moved around the city frequently, though. My parents gave me up when I was a kid. I guess I was too much for them to handle," She paused, realizing that the man was giving her a somewhat of a sympathetic look, "No need to pity me, I love my life, no matter how messed up and chaotic it may be most of the time. Anyways, what brought you back to the city?"

"Well, my brother is here somewhere," He informed her with a small smile on his face, "I'm afraid he might have gotten himself into a bit of a bind."

"You make it sound like it happens on the daily," She commented as she crouched down to pick up a damp rag she had dropped moments before serving the man his drink.

"Well, he's complicated," He told her, sounding frustrated as he spoke of his brother, "Defiant, Ill-mannered, and a little temperamental."

Cadence snickered a bit, knowing those characteristics all too well. She herself was those things.

"See, we don't share the same father," he continued on and Cadence listened to every word he said closely, "Of course, that never bothered me, but my brother resents it deeply, never felt like he belonged. All told, he has a long history of getting himself into trouble."

  "Something tells me you have a long history of getting him out of all that trouble," She commented and he nodded his head in confirmation, "Are you older or younger than your brother?"