10

OUTCASTS
—10. Reigning Pain in New Orleans

     At the compound, Klaus smiled as he tapped his glass of champagne with a spoon

At the compound, Klaus smiled as he tapped his glass of champagne with a spoon. Marcel and his inner circle sat at the long table, alongside Cadence and Hayley, both of which were also forced to attend, despite not wanting to.

"Let us begin with a toast to our shared gift. Immortality. After a thousand years, one might expect for life to be less keenly felt, for its beauties and its sorrows to diminish with time, but as vampires, we feel more deeply than humans could possibly imagine," Klaus explained, gesturing for the compelled servers to move closer to them.

The servers walked to stand beside the vampires. "Insatiable need, exquisite pain..." Klaus trailed off as the servers rolled up their sleeves and held up a knife, just before they sliced across their wrists. They allowed the blood to spill into the metal bowls in front of them, earning a disgusted look from Cadence, "Our victories, and our defeats."

"To my city, my home again," Klaus announced loudly as he lifted his glass, "May the blood never cease to flow."

"And the party never end," Marcel spoke up, lifting his glass as well as he smiled widely.

"To New Orleans," Diego agreed as he raised his glass.

"To New Orleans," Klaus stated and the rest of the group repeated soon after him.

After a moment, Klaus glanced around, beginning to speak up once more. "I understand that some of you may have questions regarding the recent change in leadership, and I invited you here tonight to assure you that you are not defeated. No. My intentions moving forward are to celebrate what we have. What Marcel, in fact, took and built for this true community of vampires."

"What about her?" Diego suddenly asked, gesturing toward Hayley at the far end of the table, "The wolf."

"Had you'd let me finish, Diego, you would know that there is, of course, one further matter I would like to address," He began to announce as he walked over to the end of the table where Hayley sat, "As many of you know, the girl is carrying my child. Consequently, I trust you will all pay her the appropriate respect. However, I understand that some of you are concerned by this vicious rumor that I intend to use the blood of our child to create hybrids. I assure you I do not."

"Father of the year," Hayley commented as she smiled sarcastically.

Cadence smiled slightly, exchanging an amused look with Hayley.

"It appears I will have to earn your trust," Klaus continued as he walked back to his previous seat at the other end of the table, "Very well. We'll eliminate the root of your anxiety. You see, how can I sire any hybrids if there are no more werewolves alive in the bayou to turn?"

"What?" Cadence suddenly spoke up, turning to Klaus in disbelief, "Klaus, no!"

Cadence attempted to stand up, only to stop when Klaus continued. "So eat, drink, and be merry, and tomorrow I suggest you have yourselves a little wolf hunt. Go ahead. Have fun. Kill them all."