9

OUTCASTS
— 9. River in Reverse

     It was morning time in New Orleans

     It was morning time in New Orleans. Klaus looked out the window in Cadence's living room with a glass of bourbon in his hand. Cadence sat on her couch, looking bored, clearly not expecting Klaus to suddenly make an appearance, "They have all forsaken me, you see that? My siblings are as deceitful in disease just as my parents ever were. Accusing me of using my child for my own gain. And trusting others before their own blood? You've got to be kidding me," Klaus ranted to the female siphoner, only to turn his body to see Cadence was too busy dozing off to actually listen to him.

"Are you even listening?" He asked her, annoyance laced in tone.

"Yup..." She trailed off, lifting her head as she wiped her tired eyes, "Yeah, I am. I'm listening."

  "Elijah and Rebekah have cut to the quick with their vicious lies about me. And all I've done is tried to win this battle of wills over Marcel's control of the Quarter in order to reclaim our home," Klaus explained, only to turn his head to see Cadence falling asleep once more, "Am I that boring that you dare fall asleep when I'm trying to tell you something. You told me to come to you if I needed to speak of this!"

"Yeah, I did," Cadence complained as she stood up, giving Klaus an annoyed look, "But, really, what's the point of this rant right now? You just keep repeating the same thing over and over again, Klaus," She paused, beginning to glare at him, "Rebekah's out to get you. Elijah's out to get you. What's next? Your own reflection is trying to kill you?"

Klaus ignored Cadence, the anger toward his siblings consuming him. "You know, if the daggers weren't missing, I would put one in each of their hearts. Rid myself of the burden of my siblings for a couple of centuries."

"Are you crazy?" Cadence shouted, which took Klaus by surprise since she was the last one he would think would ask him such a thing, "Look at you, Klaus! Repeating the same destructive cycles over and over again. From what you've told me, the only reason they're always out to get you is that you stick daggers in their hearts."

"I don't remember asking for your advice," Klaus argued, beginning to glare at Cadence.

"Really?" She questioned, an amused smirk on her face, "I could've sworn that is exactly the reason you came here in the first place, Klaus, because you wanted my advice. 'One abomination to another', those were your words!" She shouted, the anger consuming her, "Why don't you stop being so scared that your brother and sister are going to leave you and fix your relationships with them."

"I'm scared of nothing," Klaus lied, an emotionless on her face.

Cadence scoffed, finally growing sick of Klaus at that moment. "You know what?" She asked loudly, glaring daggers at Klaus, "Why don't you get the hell out of my apartment? I'm trying to help you, but clearly, you don't want it."