12

OUTCASTS
— 12. Après Moi, Le Déluge

"The Italians call them Strega

"The Italians call them Strega. The Yoruba of West Africa call them Aje, meaning Mother. Where my mother was from, they called them Hexa, and here we call them witch," Elijah explained to Hayley and Cadence in a calm tone as they sat in the study, "Over the centuries, vampires have fought them and fought beside them, bedded them and burned them. Whether adversary or ally, they have been a force to be reckoned with. Their ancestral magic anchors this city. There's never been one all-powerful witch until Davina."

"Who is now tucked in safe and sound down the hall under my protection," Klaus suddenly added in as he entered the room, looking down to see a drawing of Celeste laid out on the table, "Your Celeste was quite beautiful and a portent of evil, according to our volatile artist in residence."

"Yes. Perhaps Davina's mistaken what she calls evil for power," Elijah confessed in a calm tone, "Celeste was very powerful in her day..."

"She looks so familiar," Cadence admitted in a whisper as she stared down at the drawing of her, "I feel like I've seen her before."

"I doubt it. She has, after all, been dead for more than two hundred years," Klaus spoke up, smiling as he turned to Cadence, "I would know. I killed her."

"Of course you did," Cadence replied as she smiled at him sarcastically, "Why am I not surprised?"

Elijah rolled his eyes at the bickering duo, deciding to continue on. "As I was saying before you two rudely interrupted me..." He trailed off as Cadence lifted her hands in mock surrender while Klaus smiled at his brother tauntingly, "Celeste was certainly very powerful in her day, but she's been dead for over two-hundred years. I don't understand why all these sketches now."

"Why does any witch do anything?" Klaus asked the group as he sat down beside Cadence.

Just then, the group looked up, their eyes widening at the sound of objects breaking in Davina's room.

"Well, that's going well," Klaus commented in a sarcastic tone.

"If you were trying to win the girl's trust, perhaps poisoning her one true love was not the most splendid idea," Elijah complained as he gave Klaus a scolding look.

"He's got a point," Cadence agreed with Elijah as she shrugged her shoulders.

"Oh. Are there any more inopportune deaths the two of you would like to wave in my face?" Klaus asked in a mocking tone.

"Give me a month," Elijah answered in a calm tone, smiling slightly at Klaus, "I'll get you a list."

Cadence smiled at Elijah in amusement while Klaus began to laugh.

Just then, both of them stopped smiling the moment they heard yet another crash. Klaus sighed in annoyance and leaned forward in his lips, "Young, old, dead, or alive, witches are a pain in the ass."