27

OUTCASTS
— 27. A Mother's Love

   At Rousseau's, Cadence was cleaning up some tables while Cami stood near her, attempting to figure out the code her uncle had left for her

Just then, the doors opened and a group of men wearing suits walked in, kicking all of the customers out. "Hey!" Cadence shouted as she walked toward the men, "What do you think you're doing?"

"I tried to be nice about this," A familiar voice spoke up, causing Cami and Cadence to turn to see Francesca standing there.

She walked toward them and Cami scoffed, slowly hiding her notebook in her back pocket. "Who the hell do you think you are?" Cami asked her in disbelief.

"I am the new owner of this gumbo shack," Francesca informed in a satisfied tone, "Ink is not dry on the contact yet, but I can tell you I got it cheap. Business is not what it used to be since Sophie Deveraux kicked the bucket."

One of Francesca's security guards locked the restaurant door so no one could get in or out, causing Cami to look nervous while Cadence showed no fear. "We don't want any trouble," The latter spoke up in a confident tone.

"I don't really care what you want. Let's talk about what I want," Francesca retorted and Cadence rolled her eyes at the woman.

"Right. My uncle's key," Cami sarcastically responded and Francesca hummed in response, "You said you were going to use it to protect the innocents of the city? Seems pretty ironic, considering your line of work."

"I'm a legitimate businesswoman who's never been convicted of a crime," She smiled fakely as she circled around Cami and Cadence, "And, as leader of the Human Faction, that key is mine."

"That's bull and you know it," Cadence growled as she leaned closer to Francesca with a hateful look on her face, "And if you don't step back, you'll regret it, I promise you that. I don't need fangs or to be half mutt to kick your ass."

Francesca simply smiled, not fazed by Cadence's threat. "I gave you time to mourn. Now, time's up!"

"Message received. Let me just go find that key I don't have," Cami snapped at the woman coldly and Cadence smirked.

Francesca moved toward Cami, a threatening look on her face. "My family's been in New Orleans a long time, Cami," She told her and Cadence frowned since she hadn't heard of the Correa's in all the history of New Orleans Marcel and Kieran had taught her over the years, "Even longer than yours! And Cadence's. And we've learned it's a very hard city to get by in if you don't have any friends. I'd like to be your friend. So I'm going to give you until tomorrow. And after that, I won't be so friendly."