20

OUTCASTS
— 20.  Fête des Bénédictions

  Fête des Bénédictions

  That night, before the celebrations for the witches, Cadence found herself at the Abbatoir. She stood on the second level, smiling as she and Klaus watched one of Genevieve's henchmen walked toward where Klaus' mother's grimoire had been laid out.

Cadence turned to glance at Klaus, realizing he had been right. Genevieve had been planning to send someone after the Original Witch's grimoire.

"A little too easy, isn't it?" Klaus spoke up, smiling as he raised his glass at the man who immediately looked up at him with wide eyes.

"Now, whose smart idea was it to give such a difficult task to such a big idiot?" Cadence commented, an amused look on her face.

"I don't know, but it was certainly a mistake they'll find themselves regretting for quite a while, love," Klaus explained in a taunting tone, "We've been expecting you."

Moments later, Klaus and Cadence stood in the courtyard. Cadence sighed, watching as Klaus tossed the man's body to the side after making the man's hands in a small chest.

"This will certainly send a message," Cadence commented and Klaus smiled as he turned to her.

"Indeed," Klaus replied, grinning as he walked over to her, "Now, I am off to Fête des Bénédictions."

"What a coincidence," Cadence mockingly gasped as she placed a hand over her mouth, "So am I!"

Klaus smiled, holding his arm out to her. "Shall we?" He asked her and Cadence nodded, immediately taking hold of his arm, "I'm planning to gift Davina with a present tonight. I hope you may be of assistance to me."

"Aren't I always helping you with your secret little plans?" Cadence commented and Klaus smiled in response.

"Sometimes, I suppose," He replied, playfully rolling his eyes at her.

"Always, you mean," She corrected him in a calm tone, "I'm always helping you with these types of things. Tonight is just proof of that."

"Alright, alright. Always," He pointed out and Cadence smiled in satisfaction.

"Admit it. You love having a partner in crime when you pull all of this crap," She responded and Klaus smiled at her.

"It reminds me of the summer I spent with Stefan Salvatore a while back and the twenties. Our partnership was a lot like the one I had with him, I suppose. Although you're doing it by your own will and you're much prettier than he was," Klaus explained and Cadence couldn't help but begin to laugh in amusement, "What, love? It's a compliment."

"You suck at compliments," Cadence retorted as they walked down the street together, "You need to work on that because I happen to love compliments."