26

OUTCASTS
— 26. Gemini Twins

 In the French Quarter, the funeral procession was walking down the street to the sounds of the jazz music being played, behind the priests acting as pallbearers for Father Kieran

In the French Quarter, the funeral procession was walking down the street to the sounds of the jazz music being played, behind the priests acting as pallbearers for Father Kieran. Near the end of the parade were Klaus, Hayley, Elijah, and Cadence, who had the twins with her.

Hayley began to have a fit of coughs, causing Elijah to look at her concerned, "You alright? You look--" He began to tell her until Hayley cut her off.

"--A hundred months pregnant and pissed off at the world?" She finished his sentence and Elijah smiled at her.

"I was going to say you look lovely." He replied, continuing to smile at the pregnant woman.

Hayley watched Francesca closely, who stood a couple of yards in front of them. She was pretending to wipe tears from her face with a tissue, causing even Cadence to roll her eyes. "Do you think I was the target of those bombings?" Hayley asked the group of three curiously.

"Of course you were the target!" Klaus explained, "Were I to wage a war on the wolves, you'd be my first kill. If you were to be my kill to get back at the wolves, I would string you up, for all your worshipers to see."

"Don't you think that's a bit colorful, Klaus?" She asked, smiling as she gestured toward her sons.

"Oh, come on now, love, they don't know what we're talking about," Klaus assured, placing a hand on her shoulder as he looked down at Hayden, "Right, Hayden?"

"We know what you're talking about," Hayden responded nonchalantly and Hunter nodded.

Klaus tried to contain his smirk and Cadence sighed, rolling her eyes at the immortal hybrid.

Elijah turned to glance at his brother, just before looking at Hayley assuringly. "I believe that was my brother's way of telling you he'd like the you to return home with us," He told her before turning to Klaus, "Perhaps try a different approach, Niklaus, with fewer references to murder, especially when you're in front of mere children?"

"As much as I would hate to throw you over my shoulder, and drag you kicking and screaming to the compound, we both know I will, for the sake of my child," He explained while beginning to smile.

Hayley smiled in amusement, sharing a look with Cadence, "One bad dream, and suddenly, Klaus wants to be a responsible daddy," She commented, causing Cadence to quietly laugh.

Klaus wrapped his arm around Hayley and pulled her close, leaving Elijah and Cadence standing awkwardly beside them. "Let me put this into perspective: my father lived to torment me. It is not my intention to become him. This cycle of misery ends with my child."

"Mmm," Hayley hummed in response as she yanked his arm away from her with a fake smile on her face, "You forgot one thing in your little attempt to plead your case, she's not your child. She's ours." She snapped at him sarcastically before spotting Cami from afar.