16

OUTCASTS
— 16. Farewell to Storyville

 The following day, Cadence was sitting with her sons in the living room, playing with toys with them

The following day, Cadence was sitting with her sons in the living room, playing with toys with them. She was in a happy mood, learning just that morning that Marcel had killed her mother. Once again, she was finally free from her grasp and this time, she hoped it was for good.

Her phone rang and Cadence reached forward. She grabbed ahold of the phone and looked at the screen. She was consumed with annoyance, however, when she saw it was Marcel calling.

She thought about not answering, but after a bit of hesitance, she decided to answer. "What do you want?" She asked the male vampire with an attitude.

"I need your help," He replied in a calm tone and Cadence couldn't help but roll her eyes.

"When don't you need my help?" She retorted with an attitude.

"Just quit it with the attitude and come to Saint Anne's as soon as you can," Marcel snapped at her before hanging up the phone.

___

An hour later, Cadence found herself sitting on one of the benches in St. Anne's Church. She had her arms crossed across her chest, watching as Marcel anxiously paced back and forth.

Hunter and Hayden stood from afar, playing with the toy dinosaurs they had brought with them. "Come on, Cade. Just—" Marcel began to say as he had for several moments now.

"No, Marcel! How many times do I have to tell you?" Cadence snapped at him in an aggravated tone, "I'm not siphoning that barrier spell, especially not for you."

"Why?" Marcel stopped pacing and turned to face her. He looked down at her, a questioning look on his face.

"Because I'm not stupid," Cadence replied as if it were obvious, "Why else?"

"By not doing this, you're putting Rebekah's life at risk," Marcel argued as he pointed a finger at her.

"Klaus won't kill her," Cadence argued as she shook her head in disapproval.

"Of course he would," Marcel complained and Cadence shook her head.

"He won't," Cadence replied in a calm tone, "He may say he will, but he won't. I know it."

"You know him all of what, six months? I've known him for two centuries. He's not the man you think he is, Cade!" Marcel complained in a loud tone, growing aggravated with her loyalty to Klaus, "There is no humanity in him. It doesn't matter if Rebekah's his sister. He'll kill her."

"I know he won't," Cadence argued in a stern tone.

"The only reason you're not helping me is that you don't want to betray him. It isn't because you believe Klaus won't kill her," Marcel explained and Cadence smiled slightly as she stared up at him.