CHAPTER XXVII - WIRES

'Dick

'Dick.'

The scent of pine and mint hit my nostrils as my head buried itself in Stiles pillow, no matter how much I tried to sleep, my body refused to let me do so. It was dark outside, today had been rather eventful and I was glad to finally be able to rest but I couldn't as the scent quickly changed to one of anxiety and sadness. I groaned as I turned, looking at the strawberry blonde who was laid out beside me, wrapping a string around her finger and Stiles was pacing back and forth, marker in his hands.

"What do the different colours mean?" The girl spoke, breaking the silence that had been looming over our heads.

"Well, Batman has a system. Each colour represents a different part of the investigation." I spoke, the two looking back at me as I did.

"Exactly, so green is solved, yellow is to be determined and blue's just pretty." Stiles told the girl who nodded as she listened to his words only for her face to turn into an expression of bafflement as she looked around the room.

"What does red mean?" Lydia asked, I winced knowing that this exact situation had happened to mere only this morning.

"Unsolved." The boy said already knowing her reply.

"You only have red on the board." The words were the exact ones he was expecting and I smirked as I sensed his annoyance.

"Yes, I'm aware thank you." He retorted, his tone was not angry, it was rather sarcastic as he began to chew on his thumbnail.

"It's a working progress." I defended making the boy nod his head in agreement.

"Did you get detention for pulling the alarm?" Was her next question making the boy sigh, we both watched as the girl stared intently at the string that was being continuously wrapped around her fingers. She was still upset, upset with herself because we didn't find anything and I wanted to help her but I didn't know how.

"Yep, everyday this week. But it doesn't matter, we're onto something." The boy told her, his expression solemn but the girl didn't meet his eyes.

"Even though we didn't find any proof of Barrow being there?" She asked, I watched as the tip of her finger began to turn purple and I stood from where I lay and kneeled in front of her. I placed my hand over hers, I took the string from her.

"Lyds, I believe he was there because you said so. You're always right when you have one of your banshee feelings so don't go doubting yourself." I spoke, her green eyes trailing anywhere but my face.

"No scent, no bomb and I got your boyfriend in trouble." I shook my head at her words, she was truly disappointed in herself and it made me sad. I looked back at my boyfriend, his eyes meeting mine and I sent him a look telling him to say something.

"Barrow was there, me and Lilac believe you. Alright? You knew it. You felt it. And look if you wanted to, I guarantee that Lilac would drag my ass back down to the school and search all night just to prove it." Stiles spoke and the two of us smiled at his words, I was happy to see they made her feel better but my smile quickly dropped as I watched Stiles being the marker to his nose, inhaling the scent.