CHAPTER XL - BAD BLOOD

'That wasn't very nice of you

'That wasn't very nice of you.'

Evil. Evil was something the pack was no stranger to, they had simply become regular acquaintances with the emotion, they were used to the shaking hands and the hearts beating violently against their chest, they were used to being scared all the time. They faced monsters, nightmares and lived to tell the tale. But no matter how much evil, how much chaos and strife they found themselves battling, they couldn't bring themselves to see their two best friends that way. They refused to notice the sickly smirks on their faces through all of the pain, they refused to believe their minds were plagued by darkness and they refused to notice their hands that were painted red by the innocents they had killed. But the evil was inside of them, you could see it in their eyes. Their eyes were their most powerful weapons, weapons that made even their once closest friends shake with fear, they were simply terrifying, there was no way to describe how they held so much horror, but maybe it was how they had become so dark. Maybe  it was the way their once light eyes were now colourless sockets, just deep bottomless pits that felt like they could swallow you whole, they looked soul less and that was what scared them more than anything.

They were scared of the fox that lived inside of their bodies, the spirit that liked to play tricks, they were scared to become the next names on the list, the list of people they had killed. Killing was something that had never believed in, they didn't have blood on their hands but in these past weeks, their whole bodies had become bloody. And even though the couple were the ones responsible for all of the corpses, the pack felt just as responsible, they felt responsible for not noticing, not noticing how their friends were slowly becoming the fox. They felt guilty for missing their darkened eyes and not worrying more about their lack of sleep, because maybe if they had paid more attention, their best friends would be right by their sides.

It was strange how in such little time, everything had changed, and this time it was not for the better. The clock seemed to tick away just a little faster and the sun seemed to be setting more quickly than usual, none of them could shake the feeling they were running out of time, that this was coming to an end and it only made the race against time even more pressure filled. Every breath they took seemed heavier, each of their tired eyes begging for sleep, but they knew that the moment they closed their eyes, night would fall and both Stiles and Lilac would once again be unprotected from the ninjas with the glowing eyes, they knew that no matter how strong the vampire and the fox were, the Oni were trained to stop at nothing, they couldn't be killed and they wouldn't stop until their best friends were dead. And not one of them could have the blood of either of them on their hands.

Each of them saw through the windows of the room they stood the sun that was becoming lower in the sky and how the moon would be soon to rise, they had hours, hours before their best friends were in danger once more. Nobody spoke their names or about the things they had done, instead the glances that were being passed around seemed answer enough, answer enough to know that everybody was in this together, they were in a war and they planned on winning. They planned on saving their friends, their family, they would stop at nothing until the fox was dead. And as Allison walked into her fathers office followed by one of her best freinds father and a man she used to despise, the tension that loomed in the air was thick, every bodies heart was beating a little faster than usual and their hands were more clammy, they were preparing to fight a fight they didn't want to be a part of.