CHAPTER XXXIV - LOVE IS EMBARASSING

'That bitch, he killed me

'That bitch, he killed me.'

There were some things in life that seemed insignificant, some things that are so important to certain people and to others they are simply not. To Lilac there were many things she found the most important in her life, her friends, the people who were her family, love, and the person who helped her find it but right now, those things seemed so insipid to her. She had no emotion, no sadness, no concept of pain or even happiness, she was numb.

She found herself feeling unconnected, like the people she called her family no longer made her feel anything and the person who helped her find love had been pulled out of her heart by a monster that wore his face. Except she didn't think any of this, her mind had no time for thoughts of the weakness of emotions, instead inside her mind was a war, a war against herself and the fox that was controlling her body.

She just stood still, completely frozen as chaos continued to be caused around her. Students were running back and forth, their footsteps thudding against the paved ground, their phones outstretched in their hands filming the whole thing. Her mind continued to fight against her, the way images of coach and the blood that poured from his body would replay but the void inside her tried to push them away.

Chaos and strife, the two things that she found herself craving now she was no longer herself. She simply watched the scene unfold. Rolls of tape being placed around the school, the blaring of radios from every direction but what stood out the most, was the unmistakable scent of anxiety coming from almost everybody that stood around. It was all the same, the faces were simply unnoticeable to the girl, the emotions were what she felt.

She watched as they panicked, words spilling from their mouths but none seemed to reach her ears as they planned out their best course of action and that was when she realised how bad the situation really was. She watched as Parrish suited up, his body being full of armour to protect himself from the supposed explosive and people watched him in awe. Girls were fawning over him, his fellow deputies sending him scared looks and Noah, Noah patted him in the shoulder before he entered the bus.

So far in her life she had never had such a daunting moment, in the all the years she had lived, this was the most suspenseful. She watched as he walked the isle of seats, his face being blocked from the view of the front window. At the back sat Jared, the neatly wrapped present on his lap and his whole body was being sent into shock.

She couldn't quite imagine how she would react, knowing that she was holding an explosive device that could potentially kill everybody in sight. But she imagined it wasn't good, that she too wouldn't know what to do, how to react. It was like her brain had forgotten how to breath, her breathing was laboured, her hands were becoming shaky and she had to bite back the urge to upchuck as it all happened.