one

these growing pains
are keeping me up at night

31 December 2020

Life was a breeze for privileged kids born with silver spoons in their mouths - it was the way citizenship was never an issue, the way their status determined how big of a hole their pockets had. It was the way that your income determined your role in society.

Sim Haneul could not relate. Not because she didn't want to, but because she couldn't.

She studied in a preppy school in Japan, surrounded by preppy classmates living a preppy high school life with absolutely nothing to worry about.

Unfortunately, she was the opposite. Time and time again did she tell her parents that studying in an expensive college in a foreign country was not necessary.

Yet, being as stubborn as her parents did not make the cut. Her parents constantly reminded her that quality education was important in order to live a stable life with a steady job. While it was pleasant that her parents gave her and her brother the freedom to their ambitions, Haneul felt pressured.

The Sim Twins were never the type who had great aspirations to become doctors or lawyers, engineers or scientists. Both loved the art of singing and dancing. Being two minutes younger than Jake meant that the twins often expressed their worries about the future.

While the siblings were as close as gums , arguments were always bound to happen - especially if it involved the future.

"Everything sucks, being here sucks! I want to go back Jake, I want to go back to Heeseung, I want to be the top of my class again! Isn't it easier for us to be back in Korea? We can better support Mom and Dad better after graduation! We can get jobs after we're done!" Haneul argued as hot tears spilled out of her eyes.

"We have no choice Haneul! We're stuck here whether you like it or not. Mom and Dad did not work their asses off just for you to be unhappy! We're blessed, can't you see?" Jake tried explaining to the stubborn and tearful girl.

"Then why is life so hard? The minute I entered college, nothing has been going my way! They only offer scholarships to citizens here, our parents are literally drowning in work while trying to pay off our school fees Jake! You have to help me convince them to-"

"No, I refuse. I absolutely fucking refuse to leave this place, not now at least. Haneul, our parents didn't raise us to give up so easily, what are you so afraid of?" Jake interrupted as he sorrowfully looked at his sister.

"Our future Jake. Who'd take in students majoring in performing arts these days? In a world where white-collared jobs are the norm? We won't survive-"

Unable to finish her sentence, Haneul broke down into a fit of pitiful sobs as Jake engulfed her shaking body in his arms. They were anxious, scared even, for what the future holds. They were not perfect students nor were they terrible. The Sim Twins were good kids who had it harder than others-who only wanted to run for their dreams.

Yet, they had to overcome the obstacles and limitations that came along with it. Nothing was easy for them, not like their privileged friends.

"You're right Haneul, everything sucks,"