eighteen

what a heavenly way to die

"You have to keep it a secret, okay?" Sunghoon said before dropping his hands to his side. Of course, after praying for the sunshine he was bound to feel tired.

"Your secret's safe with me. I'm assuming Haneul knows right?" Mrs. Sim asked as she looked up at the sky. Nodding his head in response, Sunghoon smiled at the thought of the girl.

"She's the reason why I pray for the sunshine. I don't know why she hates the rain, but seeing her bubbly puts my mind more at ease. Never thought I'd come across someone who calms the storm in my heart," Sunghoon mindlessly rambled.

Side-eyeing Sunghoon, Mrs. Sim nodded proudly before patting the younger boy's head. "I think you're the one who calms her down. Knowing my daughter, she hides a lot of her emotions. I'm glad she found someone like you Sunghoon,"

Feeling the Sun rays hit his skin, Sunghoon felt warmth again; comfort even. "I'm glad she found me too Mrs. Sim,"

UNKNOWN
hey smexy boi 😏

SUNGHOON
who's this?

UNKNOWN
make a guess :3

SUNGHOON
jungwon?

UNKNOWN
what the hell's a jungwon?

it's ur favourite fortune teller 🤪😏😍

SUNGHOON
oh Riki -.-

RIKI
hey bestie <33

SUNGHOON
what do you want loser

RIKI
hey! I'm no loser :(

SUNGHOON
my bad hehe

is there anything important you have to tell me?

RIKI
yes actually. but u have to come here again.

AND COME ALONE. DONT BRING PEACH CHEEKS!!!

SUNGHOON
okay jeez child

RIKI
😝😝😝

"I have a story to tell you,"

Taking a seat across Riki, Sunghoon furrowed his brows upon seeing a different side of the younger boy. Instead of being mischievous or playful, Riki was solemn and emotionless. In simple terms, you would find the boy intimidating due to his sharp eyes.

"Go ahead," Sunghoon replied with his notepad ready. "I used to live in Seoul for a good 6 months. I was there to pursue dance at 15, and there I met a boy named Sunoo," Riki started, fidgeting with his bracelet.

"We instantly became friends and he was that person who filled the void in my raging heart. Just like you, I caused the weather to go crazy. Apparently, every gloomy heart in Seoul contributed to the rain,"

Nodding his head attentively, Sunghoon felt a little bit of ease after realising he was not the sole cause of Seoul's bad weather the previous year. "But we were suffering, we needed the sunshine back," Riki continued solemnly before staring straight into Sunghoon's eyes.

"But there were instances where the sunshine came back, no? Some boy even made it on the news for bringing the sunshine back," Sunghoon furrowed his brows, realising he was in the exact same position of the said boy.

"That was Sunoo, he became Seoul's Weather Boy. They called, and he came back with the sunshine— but there was only so much he could do. Being a Child of Weather was a curse, praying for the sunshine meant sacrificing a part of yourself," Riki continued on the verge of tears.

Pausing in the midst of writing, Sunghoon looked up from his notepad with an even more puzzled look. Putting away his pen and notepad, Sunghoon looked worriedly at the younger boy across him.

"Every time we were blessed with good weather, a part of Sunoo's body becomes translucent like water. It's severity depended on how big or small his prayer was,"

"But one day, the rain just stopped. There were no more thunderstorms or lightning strikes, no more flooded streets. Seoul was shining again— but that day, I lost my best friend,"

"What? What happened to Sunoo?" Sunghoon questioned, his eyes wide and filled with empathy and sadness for Riki and Sunoo.

Fumbling with the silver bracelet on his wrist— well, Sunoo's bracelet, Riki glanced at Sunghoon with tearful eyes.

"He used his final prayer to pray for good weather, he sacrificed himself just so he could bring the sunshine back,"