eight

i can't stand the rain

Standing on staircases that were holding up for dear life were two 19 year olds. One looking away in embarrassment while the other tried to comprehend his mysterious aura.

"I'm Haneul and I'm 19 too," Haneul finally responded before shaking his hand.

"Now that we know each other, please leave me alone. Goodbye then," Sunghoon quickly said before retreating his hand back.

"Wait!" Haneul called out as she grabbed ahold of his arm. Looking at her in confusion, Sunghoon pulled his arm away before facing Haneul again.

"What else do you want from me?" Sunghoon sighed impatiently.

Nibbling her bottom lip nervously, Haneul fumbled clumsily with her wallet before finally taking out a white card. Grabbing his hand, Haneul firmly placed the card on his palm before smiling cheekily at the boy.

"I have a feeling I'll be seeing you more often. You can either call or visit the address on that card, I'll be waiting Sunshine Boy!" Haneul beamed before stalking away from Sunghoon.

Now that the sunshine was back after an entire week of rain, Haneul felt more than motivated to carry on without her triggering mood swings. Her showcase was in a month's time and was her ticket back to Seoul.

She hoped it wouldn't rain again. She blamed the rain for her inability to think straight— she blamed the rain for her trauma.

If it were to rain again, she hoped and prayed that the Sunshine Boy she came across for the second time did his duty.

2020

No 18 year old should experience any kind of torment— scratch that, no teenager or child should ever have to be treated inhumanely. Unfortunately for Sim Haneul, she had it tougher than her brother.

The moment the Sim Twins transferred to a high school in Tokyo, both siblings had immediately become the talk of their cohort.

Well, Jake was.

While Jaeyun was clearly the athlete between the Twins, Haneul was the opposite. The sweet girl very much enjoyed her tiramisu on rainy days and loved dancing anywhere and everywhere. She was pleasantly plump in the most endearing way ever, something all her friends back in Seoul loved about her.

She was confident in her own glowing skin, loving the way she looked regardless of how much she ate. She was happy on sunny and rainy days.

Until they moved to Tokyo.

A month into her new school and everybody had already started running their mouths about her. What they said about Haneul was sadly, due to jealousy— that the girl was praised for astonishing results or performances, that she was already closely acquainted with Park Jongseong (Jay, if you will).

With that being said, those who envied Haneul nit picked on her ever flaw, especially on her appearance. Haneul obviously knew better to ignore their hurtful comments and criticism. It was just because she was chubbier than everyone else, it didn't mean she was an asshole or an attention seeker.

It didn't mean she was a bad person, it didn't mean that she lacked more than everyone else. Yet, they made it seem so.