twenty-seven

→

After that night, two shattered hearts found love and peace in each other. Though, both were far too scared to approach the topic— for one felt undeserving and the other, fearful.

Sunghoon was fearful that by the time he could muster up the courage to confess to Haneul, his entire being would be up in The Heavens. He feared that he'd have to leave Haneul— that she'd lose him to an entity she was unable to control.

So instead of approaching their feelings head on, both Sunghoon and Haneul decided for life itself to determine whether their relationship was endgame or not. As teenagers transitioning into adulthood, they each decided that their romantic feelings for each other were better left unsaid that night.

Though ironically throughout that stormy night with the TV still screening the dreaded horror series, and a bowl of half-eaten popcorn left on the coffee table, there sat a Weather Boy and a passionate dancer on the sofa-bed.

Both conversing in whatever topic came to mind, with Haneul's legs strewn over Sunghoon's lap and his hands intertwined with hers. Ironically again, they refused to be honest with themselves despite their comfortable skin ship.

But that was the mystery and thrill behind young love; diving into a person's heart and soul without really knowing what's in store for you.

"The Fireworks Festival is this Saturday, and Jake and Jay bought yukatas already! We have to buy one for you," Haneul exclaimed excitedly. Groaning in response, Sunghoon shook his head in amusement.

"Apparently, Jay already lent me one of his own. Surprisingly, he's been nicer to me," Sunghoon snickered upon remembering his initial impression of Jay.

"You guys just brawl for no reason! Anyways, my dad's flying in this weekend too, he promised Mom he wouldn't let her attend the festival without a date!" Haneul sighed contentedly, admiring the fact her parents wholeheartedly loved each other.

"Do you have a date?" Sunghoon asked bluntly, internally slapping himself for being a tad bit bold. Fortunately, every situation that was supposed to feel awkward between the pair, never was.

"Just ask me already Park," Haneul chuckled, knowing all too well that's what Sunghoon planned to do. "Oh no, because I was thinking of going with Riki," Sunghoon vaguely said, only to chortle in laughter upon Haneul's expression of disbelief.

"I actually hate you, I'll go with Jay instead!" Haneul huffed out, causing Sunghoon to laugh even harder upon unleashing her temper. "Of course I'll be your date you crybaby," Sunghoon reassured before nuzzling his head into the crook of her neck.

"I have a feeling the festival will be cancelled though, it just rains everyday now. Even the weather is resistant to your prayers. There's no way there'll be a festival," Haneul uttered sadly as she rested her head atop of Sunghoon's crown.

Abruptly lifting his head, Sunghoon smiled sheepishly before scrunching his nose endearingly. "Leave it up to your Sunshine Boy," Sunghoon tiredly said before finally falling fast asleep on Haneul's shoulder.

Chuckling softly at Sunghoon's adorable antics, Haneul couldn't help but notice something was off about the boy she liked. She noticed how his eyebags were much more evident now, and the way he wasn't as energetic as he used to be.

It's been a month since they met, yet Haneul noticed how Sunghoon was slowly losing his sanity; she just didn't know why.