twenty-three

no matter what I do

With that question brought up, Sunghoon had no choice but to avoid it. For some reason, he couldn't bring himself to tell her the truth, that he was painfully and slowly fading into a body of water. As cliché as it was to him, he found himself risking his life for someone he just met.

"Ah, it just gets draining sometimes. Anyways, I'm thinking of spreading my Weather Boy agenda to the rest of Tokyo," Sunghoon changed the topic as Haneul invited him into her room.

"Do elaborate Sunshine," Haneul chided as she took a seat on her bed. Pacing back and forth in Haneul's room, Sunghoon only wondered if the risk was worth taking; to help others while he still could.

"From markets to our flooded streets, I could pray for the sunshine until such internal issues within those problems are fixed. There's even that annual fireworks festival everyone's looking forward to," Sunghoon rambled before ruffling his damp hair.

"You want to restore our economy, is what you're saying?" Haneul raised a brow.

"More like bring some light into this gloomy country. Like Riki said, every individual contributes to the weather, I just happen to be a soul linking The Heavens and this world," Sunghoon explained.

Standing up from her bed, Haneul couldn't help but feel an underlying situation beneath Sunghoon's unusual calmness. Then again, she didn't really know him enough to judge his decisions. For as soon as she looked into his eyes, it was as though he reassured her of whatever sentiments she had.

"Then do as you wish Sunshine. I'll be with you at every place or time you have to pray, I'll be there to catch you if you faint," Haneul smiled up at the taller boy.

Pinching her rosy cheeks, Sunghoon nodded as he chuckled upon the seriousness of their conversation. "It does get draining, but I remind myself of the reason on why I actively started my role as a Weather Boy,"

Reciprocating the current action he was doing to her, Haneul tilted her head curiously while laughing upon pinching Sunghoon's cheeks. "And what is the reason, Sunshine?"

"You,"

"Jake Sim, what the actual fuck!"

"No swearing in my kitchen Jay!"

"But Mrs. Sim! He deadass added salt instead of sugar to your coffee!" Jay complained as he glared at Jake, who was apparently dying of laughter.

"Permission granted Jay, swear all you like! You are now my son," Mrs. Sim announced distastefully upon sipping her coffee. "Mom! I'm your son!" Jake whined in offence before clinging onto his Mother.

"Not with salt coffee you're not! Oh and good morning lovebirds! My new son made breakfast!" Mrs. Sim announced while deliberately ignoring her koala of a son.

"Lovebirds? Anyways, good morning! And thanks for breakfast Jane," Sunghoon winked at Jay, whose eyes were obviously shooting daggers at the Weather Boy.

"Don't test my patience kid," Jay snarled, though smiling again once Haneul sat beside him. "Good morning Jongseong! Thanks for making breakfast today," Haneul chirped happily before digging into Jay's famous homemade crepes and French toast.

Observing their knitted friendship, Sunghoon pursed his lips into a thin line before raising his brows in amusement. Grabbing the milk and cereal instead of indulging in the meal catered to him, Sunghoon smirked at Jay's clearly, irritated state.

Technically, it was obvious to both Mrs. Sim and Jake who noticed the tension between Jay and Sunghoon (unfortunately, Haneul paid no attention). From their narrowed eyes and small and petty actions, anyone could tell it was all over Haneul.

You could say that after finding out about Heeseung, Jay couldn't bear seeing Haneul get hurt again.