twenty-one

am I in love with you?

"Come on Sunshine, dance with me!" Haneul broke their momentarily silence as she placed her hands on Sunghoon's shoulders. Bursting out in laughter, Sunghoon shook his head in amusement at another one of Haneul's endearing antics.

"No music?" Sunghoon chuckled, encircling one arm around Haneul's waist while the other held her hand. "You sing! I've heard you sing one too many times in the shower," Haneul teased before chortling in a fit of laughter.

Rolling his eyes playfully, Sunghoon took a small step closer towards Haneul before giving into the girl's hopeful eyes. Under the pouring rain that showered two kindred spirits, Haneul and Sunghoon slow-danced to one's melodic voice.

Laughter and joy erupted from their beings whenever they attempted to spin each other around, only to end up spinning at the same time. With every smile or laughter from Sunghoon, Sim Haneul took note of it all. The way he showed utmost respect and kindness to her after their rough beginning, to ultimately granting her sunny days.

In his hold did she feel safe, she felt accepted. With his presence, she was her bubbly and unique self. Sunghoon made her feel enough, a feeling Haneul hadn't felt in a long time. Sometimes, she often wondered if it was too fast to place her heart in someone else's hands.

How long does it take to fall in love with someone?

Resting her head against Sunghoon's chest, Haneul smiled softly upon feeling their hearts beat in sync. While the comfortable skin ship and endearing nicknames seemed like normal things friends would do, both knew it was more than that.

It it okay to fall this fast?

"Ready to go back? You seem tired," Sunghoon asked, removing his jacket before placing it around Haneul's shivering body. "I am very much ready to go back," Haneul mumbled before looking up at the taller boy with her head tilted towards him.

"Want me to piggy-back you?" Sunghoon asked softly, only for Haneul's tired eyes to shoot up in alarm. Pushing herself off from Sunghoon's arms, Haneul chuckled nervously while shaking her head.

She didn't understand how or why she reacted that way; an overwhelming rush of insecurity and self-consciousness took over her short-lived happiness. While she didn't want to seem like she was affected or sensitive to his kind offer, the rain didn't seem to be of any help.

Instead of feeling at ease with the now, worried boy, Haneul was only reminded of what her former tormentors did to her. With that said, Haneul briskly walked away from Sunghoon. All the happiness and life she felt that night was immediately replaced by her bitter and spiteful persona again.

She knew better— if she was unable to find love in herself, she couldn't fully love whoever she wanted.