thirty-one

"The fireworks show is about to begin!"

Squealing to herself, Haneul smiled brightly at Sunghoon before clapping excitedly. "At the end of the show, they always launch an enormous heart-shaped firework!" Haneul rambled as she enthusiastically looked up at the dark sky.

"How cheesy," Sunghoon chuckled but couldn't help but look forward to it. Once the fireworks were launched, the young boy paid little attention to the bursts of colourful sparks.

Instead, he paid attention to Haneul as always. His heart pounding rapidly as he clutched onto the jewellery box in his pocket. That night as he watched Haneul's gleeful eyes light up with every firework launched, Sunghoon could finally admit that he found love, and not just some crush.

It's now or never Sunghoon.

"Haneul, I um, I got this for you," Sunghoon nervously spoke up, holding out the jewellery box encasing his bracelet for Haneul. Widening her eyes in shock, Haneul also pulled out a jewellery box of the same brand.

"Great minds think alike! I bought you a gift too," Haneul laughed bashfully, this time was she unable to hide the evident blush on her cheeks. "You copied me," Sunghoon stuck out his tongue teasingly before trading gifts with Haneul.

Opening their gifts at the same time, Haneul received what was mentioned: a silver bracelet with blue gemstones linked together, something that Sunghoon believed suited her. As for Sunghoon on the receiving end, Haneul had gifted him a silver necklace with a card pendant, one that illustrated a Sun and it's face.

"Thank you," the pair said simultaneously, before bursting into laughter at the coincidence of it all. "No but really, thank you Haneul for everything. This past month, I've grown to smile more and love better because of you," Sunghoon confessed as he gazed into Haneul's eyes.

Those brown orbs that brought him affirmation and comfort, her eyes that reflected her point of view of him. Taking a bold step closer to Haneul, Sunghoon gently pulled her towards his embrace.

Smiling into his shoulder, Haneul reciprocated her embrace before busking in his warmth. "You showed me I have reasons to love myself a little more, I should be thanking you for saving me from myself,"

Pulling away from their hug, Sunghoon faced Haneul with teary eyes before pressing his forehead against her. "You found me as a hopeless and cold-hearted boy, and as it cheesy as it sounds, I found warmth in you. I always have,"

"Always? What about that time you told me to stop crying on the plane?" Haneul snickered teasingly, interrupting Sunghoon's moment of grace. "I just wanted to sleep-"

"And afterwards you threw my bag at me!" Haneul continued teasing as she gently caressed Sunghoon's tear-stained cheeks. "I didn't mean to!" Sunghoon huffed out in a pout but Haneul kept on going.

"Or that time you refused to sta-"

Before Haneul could continue, Sunghoon instinctively cupped her flushed cheeks swiftly. A million thoughts raced through his mind at that moment, but one thing's for sure was that he knew she loved him the same.

With that being said and done, Park Sunghoon mustered up the courage to kiss the girl who was deemed his saviour— Sim Haneul who made him love again.

In that moment they shared, she too, melted into his kiss; feeling his smile against hers before loosely wrapping her arms around his neck. While everyone else enjoyed the fleeting beauty of the fireworks display, Sunghoon and Haneul savoured their special moment together.

For Haneul found herself with a blessing who truly loved her, while Sunghoon found himself wishing for more time with Haneul.

For he knew after that night, he'd have to leave her.