twenty-four

"What's the plan for today? It's a weekend but it's raining, I really wanted to go out and meet my new friend," Jake sighed sadly as he clung onto Sunghoon this time.

The family of 5, inclusive of Sunghoon and Jay and the absence of Mr. Sim who was working in Seoul, stayed huddled in the living room while lightning and thunderstorms struck outside. It was indeed, one of the darkest and coldest Saturdays anyone in Tokyo ever experienced.

It was odd that the longer Sunghoon prayed for the sunshine, the aftermath grew worse than the initial severity of the weather. Nevertheless, he ignored it despite Riki's previous warning.

"Just invite your new friend over Jake, there's no point in going out if you're just gonna be caught in traffic jams. Besides, we're watching a horror movie now!" Jay suggested as he set a bowl of popcorn on Haneul's lap.

"Are you gonna pray for the sunshine later?" Haneul whispered to Sunghoon while feeding him a kernel. Smiling upon the buttery taste that lingered on his tastebuds (or more like Haneul's heart-shaking gesture), Sunghoon nodded curtly.

"I'll be right back," Sunghoon got up from his seat while breaking free from Jake's bear hug, briefly staring back at Jay's unamused expression before walking into his room.

"How are you doing loser," Jay asked Haneul before taking a seat next to Haneul. "I've been happier these days Jay, a month till our showcase! I just hope it doesn't rain then," Haneul thought aloud as she faced her best friend.

True to her words, Haneul did look happier than two weeks ago. Her complexion glowed flawlessly and the light in her eyes was restored. Of course, this was all just Jay's point of view. He knew for a fact that the raven-haired boy he was so cautious of was the reason for Haneul's smile.

"So what's going on between you and that beanpole," Jay suddenly asked, causing Haneul to choke on her Cola. "I'll bet my entire piggy bank that Haneul has a crush on Sunghoon!" Jake chimed in mischievously.

"I second that Jakey!" Jay chuckled before fist-bumping the other twin. "Count me in too!" Mrs. Sim called out from the kitchen. Absolutely dumbfounded by the sudden attacks from her best friend and family, Haneul knew deep down that it was true.

"And so what if I do? He's clearly a gentleman unlike some brats I know," Haneul huffed out in embarrassment, resulting to an eruption of giggles and screaming from Jake and Mrs. Sim.

Laughing at the generally, chaotic family, Jay shook his head in amusement before facing Haneul with his undeniably, charismatic smile. "Just make sure he's honest with you. I can't stand his face, but I can see that he makes you happy," Jay reminded Haneul.

As much as he wanted to be that person for Haneul, he valued their friendship much more than the likes of love— that way he wouldn't lose her.

"Do you think it's appropriate to fall for someone I just met two weeks ago?" Haneul uttered before sighing unsurely. "Why not? It was love at first sight when I saw your Dad," Mrs. Sim commented before squealing along with Jake.

"Trust your gut Hannie, sometimes your mind is unsure and your heart, fearful. Even Mom trusts Sunghoon! Besides, we probably met as kids considering our birth givers' friendship with his dad," Jake yawned tiredly before his eyes shot up at the sudden presence of sunlight.

"Take your time," Jay reassured Haneul before attending to a screaming Jake Sim, who was ogling at the serenity of Tokyo's now shining, blue skies.