thirty-five

The sky's a deeper unknown world than the sea

"Now, you have the choice whether or not you should stay or go.
Whatever it is, just don't regret it,"

I chose to bring you happiness Haneul, but I feel so regretful— regretful because I can't live life with you. I can't experience love or happiness with you while I'm up here on the clouds and while you're down there on the ground.

I feel so regretful because I chose to leave you, I chose to sacrifice myself for the sunshine.

I feel so regretful because I can feel the pain I've caused you instead. Now I can't stop thinking about you when I'm sinking alone.

Surrounding Sunghoon was nothing but blue skies and fluffy white clouds, a sight he should be relieved to see yet, he wasn't. Lying atop of an unusual wide patch of grass, Sunghoon only curled his body into a ball as he wept.

He was lonely, he felt insane. Not even a remnant of the world was with him, the necklace— the only thing that reminded him of Haneul, was gone. While the world passed by him down below, he was stuck at 19. Forever and always would he stay that way after having sacrificed his life.

The only thing that kept him company was the small water creatures levitating around him, each water droplet mimicking notable oceanic life. From schools of fishes to even a whale, Sunghoon at least found some sort of comfort in the water creatures.

Despite all that, he just wanted to be with Haneul. The girl who found him as a lost and apathetic boy, had touched his heart and gave him meaning to existence.

All he wanted upon realising that, was to always stay by her side. Yet, he chose Tokyo's happiness over his.

The minute she reached the building, Haneul immediately hopped out from her motorcycle before throwing her helmet on the pavement in the process. Sweat dripped from either side of her face as she climbed up the rusty and faulty stairs up to the rooftop.

"Haneul! Be careful!" Jay screamed from behind. Jay and Jake, who managed to catch up with Haneul thanks to Jay's own motorcycle.

Distracted by Jay's sudden cheers, Haneul accidentally stumbled on on the steps, causing its already poor foundation to collapse behind her. "Haneul!" Jay shouted worriedly but was only shushed by Jake.

"What if she gets hurt?!" Jake exclaimed anxiously upon noticing the run-down infrastructure before him. "What if she doesn't come back?" Jay uttered as he watched his best friend reach the rooftop successfully.

Before Jake could answer, a car pulled up in front of the abandoned building with Jake's parents, Mr. Park, Riki and Sunoo immediately pooling out from the vehicle.

"Where's Haneul?! Sunoo just said she might not make it back!" Mrs. Sim started rambling, letting out a horrified gasp upon noticing the demolished staircases. "Hannie climbed up?!" Mr. Sim shrieked in worry.

"No wait, please calm down! You misunderstood me!" Sunoo meekly cried out as he tried calming down the Sim Family, Jay and Mr. Park, who seemed too emotional at the moment to think rationally.

"Everyone please! Haneul's going to save Sunghoon, not trade herself in his place!" Sunoo finally mustered out, causing everyone to tone down their booming protests.

"What do you mean?" Jay questioned, his intimidating aura causing Sunoo to flinch slightly. Noticing this, Riki stepped forward before pulling Sunoo behind him.

"Both of them will come back, as long as Sunghoon gives up his role as a Weather Boy which I'm sure he will," Riki stated reassuringly as he sent a small smile to Sunoo.

Knitting her brows in confusion, Mrs. Sim looked up at the clear, blue sky before facing Riki again. "But doesn't that mean—"

"Yes, Mother of Peach Cheeks, that means Tokyo's weather will go crazy again with endless rain, thunderstorms and bla bla bla bla," Riki cut her off as a mischievous smile played on his face.

Glancing at each other, everyone couldn't help but plaster an amused grin at Riki's way of rationalism. Seemingly, losing Sunghoon in exchange for good weather didn't seem worth it.

"But it doesn't matter if it rains erratically again. The world's always been crazy anyways,"