thirty-eight

Adolescence; the period following the onset of puberty during which a young person develops from a child into an adult.

19. 9-teen. Nineteen.

A year left before he was 20, the last year of his youth. Waking up from his unconsciousness before Haneul, Sunghoon pondered his existence in life now that he was no longer a Weather Boy.

As he watched Tokyo's bustling streets drenched by the never-ending rain, Sunghoon couldn't help but lose his reason of existing. That he felt inferior to everyone and to himself.

He would rather live above the clouds  than live a boring life on Earth.

Yet he couldn't stop his father from bringing him back to Seoul; to a dreadful life he didn't want to live. To people he didn't want to spend the rest of his life with.

He wanted to be in Tokyo, writing for Mrs. Sim's magazines, to spend time with his new-found friends, Jay, Jake and Riki.

He wanted to be with Haneul, the girl who brought meaning to his life.

But there he was standing before the boarding gates at the airport. Unwilling to hand his passport over to the flight attendant waiting for him.

A part of him wanted to drop his belongings and run back to Haneul. Back into the comfort of her arms and feel at home to the sound of her voice.

But a part of him told him to go back to Seoul and study hard. To live life for himself before prioritising others. With a heavy heart, Sunghoon handed over his boarding ticket and passport.

Some day, he had to put the people and things he loved on hold. That day was then, in which he surrendered to life itself.

"Sunghoon,"

"What do you want Dad," Sunghoon uttered as he looked out the plane's window. Swallowing his saliva anxiously, Mr. Park turned towards his son before sighing deeply.

"I know I've been harsh on you a lot more lately, to the point you even ran away from home," Mr. Park started as his eyes shifted around nervously.

"Nothing new,"

"And I know I'm pushing you onto a job or towards a woman you don't even love," Mr. Park continued towards the aloof boy.

"I'll do what you want-"

"I should've considered your feelings before pushing you. Sometimes what I think is best for you might not be what you want. You're my son above all else," Mr. Park said as he looked at Sunghoon.

Instead of a raged expression, or even a spiteful gaze, Mr. Park looked at his son with gentle eyes. An expression often associated with love, acceptance and endearment.

"What are you saying Dad?" Sunghoon uttered unsurely, unable to react to his father's admitted defeat.

"At least finish school. I heard from Ha-eun that you took interest in Art Journalism. After you've graduated, I'll support your interests in that field. After all, your Dad owns a publishing company," Mr. Park smiled before leaning back on his seat.

"Mrs. Sim?" Sunghoon cocked an eyebrow before narrowing his eyes at his father. "I don't trust you," Sunghoon blurted out, only for Mr. Park to chuckle in response.

"After you learn the ropes around BORDER, I'll dispatch you to its Japan HQ," Mr. Park said before closing his eyes to rest.

"You mean the one Mrs. Sim works at? Tokyo?" Sunghoon's eyes beamed with hope as he looked at his father. However, Mr. Park only chuckled again before sighing deeply.

"Like you, I trust the Sim Family. In fact, I was in love with her back when we were 19. From the way you looked at Haneul, I just knew that the both of you were in love,"

Nibbling his bottom lip in contemplation, Sunghoon felt overwhelmed.

This time, in a good way, as absurd as it seemed. From the fact his father blatantly confessed his unrequited love, and the fact he was offering Sunghoon freedom.

You could say Sunghoon was perplexed and surprised. In a good way.

He finally felt hopeful of his future, internally thankful that his father was accepting to his interests. Yet, granting forgiveness to his father would take time.

Nevertheless, Sunghoon smiled with his father for the first time in a long while.

I'll come back for you, Haneul.