fourteen

In moments like those,
when tears fill your eyes

"He's a runaway Haneul,"

"He's 19, he can do whatever he wants Mom! Maybe he left for good reasons," Haneul started to argue, confused as to why she was suddenly agitated.

"My dear, I know. I know because I've worked with that CEO when we were still in Seoul. Why do you think you're father decided to move us to Tokyo?" Mrs. Sim calmly asked, knowing Haneul was rather anxious for Sunghoon.

"Because my father's an A-grade asshole,"

Diverting their attention to the solemn boy, Sunghoon slung his bag warily over his shoulder before exhaling a shaky breath.

"Sunghoon-"

"Look Mrs. Sim, I completely understand if you think I'm bad news to your family and I'll even leave to ease your discomfort. But please, please don't call him. I-I can't stand another day in that house— in that country," Sunghoon spoke, on the verge of tears.

Getting down on his knees, Sunghoon faced both Haneul and her mother with a melancholy look. His eyes gloomy and dark as his heart palpitated anxiously. Mirroring his emotions, the sky rumbled with thunder before a cloudburst fell upon Tokyo once again.

"Mom, you certainly won't call them right?!" Haneul exclaimed upon realising the tremendous shift in the rain's intensity. Glancing at Sunghoon, Haneul quickly crouched in front of him as she met his tired gaze.

Standing up from her seat, Mrs. Sim walked towards her daughter and the shaky boy with an amused smile on her face. Kneeling in front both of them, Mrs. Sim only embraced both youths in her arms. "I'm not an asshole like your dad Sunghoon. I can't imagine how suffocating it must be for you,"

"S-So you won't call them? What if they find out I'm here? You would get in trouble by him," Sunghoon sniffled in between his silent tears. Laughing at how serious her daughter and Sunghoon looked, Mrs. Sim only handed them an envelope of money before standing up.

"He gets mad at employees, higher-ups and my husband— but never with me. About time Dongchul learns to control his temper. Get going kids, I need that weather report by tomorrow," Mrs. Sim casually walked back to her study chair, leaving her relationship with Sunghoon's father a mystery to Haneul and Sunghoon.

"Thank you Mrs. Sim," Sunghoon sniffled before bowing down abruptly right after standing up. "I will get that report done tonight!" Sunghoon exclaimed, grabbing Haneul's hand before marching out the door.

"Sunghoon I'm barefoot-"

"Keep up crybaby!"

"Look who's talking!"

"We didn't bring an umbrella!"

"Then just pray for the damn sun!"

"Oh, right. Hurry up!"

Giggling at Haneul and Sunghoon's loud bickering outside, Mrs. Sim sighed in contentment before pulling out a picture from her journal; a picture showing her husband and Park Dongchul sandwiching her petite body. Sunghoon and Haneul merely reminded her of her friendship with Sunghoon's father.

Highschool days.

"Oh Dongchul, what happened to you?"

[A/N: watch jujitsu kaisen for clear skin]