34- The Only thing

Warning : This chapter contains mentions of suicide and suicide attempt as well as suicidal thoughts. Please proceed with caution.

"Her room is upstairs, to the left." Takao quietly said to the red haired male as he guided the way to the stairs. Nathaniel nodded silently and followed him in through the darkness. They made their way through the corridors and finally stopped in front of the girl's bedroom door.

(Y/n) had fallen back asleep on Nathaniel's back, her snores the only sound filling the silence crowding the house. No one seemed to be around except for the three of them, all lights off. Well no one awake at least. Though Takao remembered the girl's older sibling had such a light sleep that he'd certainly have heard them. It was strange for them to have gotten up to this point without him intercepting them. Maybe he wasn't here ?

This would be quite inconvenient. As much as the brown haired male didn't hold the black haired boy in his heart, the knowledge that (Y/n) wouldn't be alone tonight reassured him greatly. Well, he could always stay with her. Not like this would be a problem. Someone needed to watch after her and make sure she was alright after all. Who knew what was in her drinks ? 

The brown haired boy hefted a sigh, emerald eyes roaming down the dark hallway. "I'll be back. Put her to bed." He instructed the other male before walking away. He'd just check himself. 

The black haired male's eyes widened in panic, body frozen and pills still resting in his palm, too light for the weight they carried.  The steps walked further into the house, a hushed voice making its way to his ears. 

What were they doing here so early ? Well it wasn't exactly early per se, but (Y/n) had told her family she'd sleep at Mia's. So why was she here ? And in good company apparently... Was it Mia ? 

No, the steps were too heavy. But now that he thought about it they were too heavy to be (Y/n)'s too. 

Should he go and see what is going on ? What if she had gotten in trouble ? 

His hand trembled at his side, body aching to go out and see what this was all about. Yet he wouldn't budge, the pills in his hands keeping him on his bed like an anchor. He should just do it and get this over with already. Anything happening out there won't concern him anymore when he'll no longer be here to see it. 

And yet he couldn't do that, he couldn't pretend like he didn't care, like this didn't matter. If there was the slightest of chances for his sister to need him at the moment his soul screamed for him to move and act. 

Yes, he'd get out of the room, see for himself and then swallow these damn pills. 

A resigned sigh fell from his lips and he slowly crawled out of his bed. However before his feet could touch the floor his bedroom door swung open, a familiar brown haired male gazing down at him. 

His emerald eyes widened and he entered the room, ignoring the chills coursing up his spine. 

"Hello... Um-"

"What are you doing here, not only in my room but in this house ?" The black haired male questioned, blue eyes cold as the ocean depth and lips set in a tight scowl as he looked the boy up and down. 

Takao fidgeted under his glare, averting his gaze. "(Y/n) needed someone to take her home. And I wanted to make sure she wouldn't be alone tonight." He answered, voice quiet against the deafening silence of the night. 

Yuu's eyes widened and he stood up, letting the pills fall from his hands and onto the bed. He approached the other male, his shadow looming over him under the moon's glim. "What happened ?" He asked coldly, a hint of panic lacing his voice.