43- I want to know what love is

"So, how is it ?" The girl asked expectantly, staring at Ren as he sat opposite her in one of the plush armchairs of the coffee shop. 

Today was another one of their tutoring lessons and he had asked for her to write another essay to see if she had progressed. Hopefully she had. Not that (Y/n) didn't like the man, they had been childhood friends and at some point she even had a crush on him. But these sessions were starting to take more and more of her time, which wasn't really convenient for her when paired with her modelling for Jean and school in general. But Ren insisted on helping her still and knowing her mother and the importance she accorded to grades, Julia surely wouldn't be please by her daughter refusing. So she found herself going along with the tides.

But a thought still clung at the back of her mind, unwilling to vanish away.

She had proposed to pay Ren for these sessions, more than once. But every time he refused, with no apparent reason.  

Because while it stole some of her time it certainly stole some of his too. Wouldn't it be fair for her to compensate by remunerating him ? This is how tutoring lessons usually worked, right ?

She observed him, features serious and calm as he read over her work, a slight frown etched between his brows and lips pulled into a line, red eyes analysing and dark locks of brown hair gently falling over his forehead like feathers. 

Beautiful and cold, as always. Seemingly unapproachable and yet here he was, helping her once again, patient and kind with her.

"Ren ?" She spoke up, the male looking up and locking eyes with her. He remained silent, encouraging her to continue. 

"Why don't you want to be paid for our sessions ? They surely drain some of your energy and time, right ?" She asked, frowning lightly. 

The man leaned back on his chair, crossing his arms over his chest, eyes roaming to the side thoughtfully. 

After a few seconds of pregnant silence filled by the sounds of chatting customers and clinking of cups and cutlery, the male finally answered. 

"Because it doesn't feel right to make you pay." He said earnestly, eyes soft as he gazed at her and a gentle smile playing on his lips. "I've known you for forever, (Y/n), I don't want you to pay for my services." 

Even more if she didn't need said services in the first place... But not like he'd tell her that. Their tutoring sessions was his only opportunity to spend some time alone with her outside of school grounds and he wasn't about to ruin this. Of course this wasn't ideal. But this was better than nothing, and Ren was willing to wait for more. They do say good things come to those who wait. 

The girl remained silent a few seconds, pondering over this thought.

Ren held up his china cup, coffee still brimming inside, so dark it reflected the light bulbs hanging from the ceiling. He took a long sip. 

"And to be honest I don't really need the money either. This is kind of a hobby for me more than anything." He confessed, eyes drifting off to the side. 

(Y/n) tilted her head to the side, perking up at his words. 

A hobby ? She really didn't see how reading over her lame essays could be part of an enjoyable experience but oh well, to each their own. 

A chuckle fell from the boy's lips at the sight of her perplexed expression. 

"I've always loved literature and anything to do with it, teaching is also something I really enjoy." He explained, a sweet smile on his lips. "I actually discovered my liking for teaching back when we were kids and I'd help you with your homework." He continued, memories flooding his mind like sweet rewinds. 

Warmth filled his chest at the sight of (Y/n)'s softening features. 

Indeed, as a child Ren would often come over to her house and help her with her homework. Never math as he had never been good at it, but he'd give her a hand for every other subject. They'd settle on the coffee table in front of the couch, with cookies she had baked with her mother and they'd go over her lessons of the day. This is probably how the girl ended up with a crush on her senior too, always so kind and sweet to her, so helpful. 

She never noticed the bruises on his back, never noticed how he'd flee his home for hers right after another outbreak of his father. She had been too young to even take notice of what was happening. 

Ren's father was the wealthy CEO of some big company, a workaholic and ambitious man driven by success only. As such Ren had been raised under the weight of being a heir, carved like the finest of violin under the rolls of hit on his skin and harsh comments gliding over him.

His family had been there when the (L/n) first arrived into town and moved into the house opposite theirs. At first he hadn't thought much of them, just another family, their own life and their own problems. Not like he paid any mind to anything to be honest, most of the time copped up in his room or leaned over his school work.

But one day, after his father lashed out at him once again, Ren had ventured outside of the house for some fresh air, for an escape from the abusive walls of his home. And that's when he had spotted a small (Y/n) struggling with her English lesson. 

He had offered to help her, if only to gain some time away from the place he had fled from. 

And afterwards this had become a habit. Every time things went south, he'd go to the (L/n) family and help the girl with her homework. A breath of fresh air and a sweet relief from the violence he had to endure at home. 

Gradually he started to like it, their afternoons spent together. He started to enjoy her presence and soon stopped to see these tutoring sessions as just means of escape. More as friendly hang outs. 

Ren never had a chance to make friends his age back in school, too focused on trying to be the perfect son, living up to his father's harsh expectations for a soon to be heir. Never had someone bothered to approach him either, everyone calling him out on his cold behaviour and apparent disinterest in any social interaction. 

But when he was with her... He actually forgot about his anxieties, the problems like ghosts in his mind and the bruises on his back. He forgot about the world outside and for a moment lived freely. And before he knew what was happening he found himself emotionally attached to the young female, awaiting their tutoring sessions with impatience, on giddy feet, his heart swelling up in his chest whenever she'd shot him a smile. 

And now, although his father was no longer in the picture, his tender love for (Y/n) remained unscathed, still nagging at his insides and burning him up to ashes.

The girl cleared her throat, stirring the man out of his thoughts as he shook his head, dismissing these memories. 

He handed her essay back, ignoring the jolts of electricity coursing through his veins as their fingers brushed.

"Anyways, good essay you wrote here !" 

Takao marched away from the building towering behind him, steps hammering against the cobblestones almost drowning out the pitty patter of the rain. 

His fists hurt, knuckles bruised and dried blood coating freshly ripped skin. He ignored the taste of hot iron on his tongue, from several cuts on his lips. He also ignored the pulsing pain on his left cheek, knowing full well the red haired man's punch would leave a nice bruise on his skin. Blue and purple. 

But even so, even if his limbs ached and head hurt, he still couldn't regret his deeds, not when it was for her safety, not when someone had judged it wise to settle their eyes on the love of his life. 

Nathaniel hadn't been able to take a no from her. So he had received a warning from him. 

It was only fair, right ?