42- Spiralling

(Y/n) stared at the phone on the coffee table, Takao's words reaching her yet remaining clouds in her mind, unclear and fuzzy. 

It had been three days since her last encounter with Nathaniel. Three days since he confessed his so called undying love for her. And she had been ignoring him ever since. Filtering his calls and not answering his texts. 

Well she had tried to talk him out of it, to explain that nothing would happen between the two of them. 

For the first time in her life, (Y/n)'s heart beat for someone. And it was for Mia. She loved her girlfriend and wouldn't leave her for anything in the world, as silly and cheesy as it sounded. But the girl truly hoped this could last forever. 

She hadn't told her lover about this either. She didn't want to make the green haired female uneasy or insecure. And more than anything she didn't want to see her girlfriend's features give out at the revelation that her best friend was ready to throw her under a bus to date (Y/n). 

But even so, the female knew she'd have to tell her at some point. But how and when ? It's not like she could blurt this out at random as they were eating lunch or hanging out. 

Oh, and you know what ? Your supposed best friend told me he loved me and that I should date him instead ! 

Yes, there was a time and a way to say these things. 

A familiar ring stirred her out of her contemplation, eyes shooting up and glancing at the screen of her phone. A heavy sigh fell from her lips at the caller's ID. She hurriedly went to silence the device under the watchful emerald eyes of her friend. 

"Who is it ?" He queried curiously, head tilted to the side. 

He knew (Y/n) like the back of his hand. And it was obvious something bothered her and occupied her mind far more than necessary. She was with him at the moment for god's sake ? And the thought of her thinking about someone else or not asking for his help ate at his nerves. Didn't she trust him enough ? Had he done something to make her doubt him ? They were supposed to be best friends and soon to be lovers ! So why wasn't she telling him about it ? 

The girl shook her head dismissively, tucking the phone in her pocket. "Nothing, don't worry." She offered him a reassuring smile, not quite reaching her eyes. "Anyways, you were saying ?" 

The male rolled his eyes to the back of his head, exasperated by her lack of answer. Did she seriously think he'd let this one go ? She should know better than that. 

"I was saying that you've been acting weird lately." Technically he had been talking about his favourite band's new album, but she didn't know that. "So, what's on your pretty mind ?" 

He leaned back on the couch, eyes locking with hers and fingers itching. 

(Y/n)'s lips tugged in a grimace as she looked down at her laps. Should she tell him ? Knowing Takao he'd probably freak out and make this such a big deal. He had always been so overprotective when it came to her, like a second brother. 

And right now she had enough of dealing with Yuu without adding another weight on her shoulders. 

But Takao also knew her by heart, could read her like an open book. And once he caught up on something he wasn't the kind to give up until he got answers. 

A heavy sigh fell from the girl's lips, a hand running through her hair as she finally gazed up at the boy. 

"Okay, but promise you won't overreact." She requested quietly, exhaustion laced through her voice making the boy cringe. 

This was going to be bad. 

He inhaled deeply, nerves thick and threading on a thin rope of serenity. 

"I won't." He answered, foot tapping the floor impatiently. 

"Okay, you know Nathaniel ? The guy who-"

"Helped me bring you home when you were drunk ?" He interrupted. 

He knew full well who the guy was. He had a tendency to keep track of (Y/n)'s every friend and acquaintance for practical purposes. And this guy had been awfully weird, red eyes way too bright and gestures way too gentle when it came to the girl. 

The girl cringed at the memory, mouth bitter as she recalled the awful taste of vomit on her tongue. She shook the thoughts away. 

"Yeah, precisely." She confirmed. "Well he kind of confessed to me three days ago... And I don't know what to do." 

Takao would ignore the fact she went to see another man for now, his priorities elsewhere at the moment. 

"You don't know what to do ?" He repeated with a cocked eyebrow. 

(Y/n) averted her eyes shamefully, fidgeting with her fingers. "Yeah-"

"You reject him of course ! What's so hard about that ?" The brown haired boy said with a scoff. 

He knew (Y/n) was kind and that she hated hurting people. But sometimes this couldn't be helped and things had to be done. The poor boy needed to understand loud and clear that she wasn't his ! 

"I tried !" The girl affirmed loudly, frustration climbing up her chest and hands fisting the fabric of her pants. "I freaking tried but he just won't listen ! And now he's calling me every hour of every day, sending me texts and I just don't know how to deal with this." 

Takao froze, venom flooding his veins and heart beating dangerously slow in his chest. 

This guy what now ? 

Not only was he trying to get his hands on what wasn't his but he wouldn't back away either ? 

Takao saw red, hands aching to throw punches and anger taking a hold of his reason. 

"I'll kill him." The words fell from his lips, a threat spoken like a promise under his breath. 

(Y/n)'s head shot up, eyes wide as she stared at her friend. 

"You what ?" She queried, even though the words rang loud and clear in her mind, sending chills down her spine. 

The boy stood up from the couch abruptly, the girl jerking on the couch. 

"Block him." The boy said, voice shaking under the weight of bubbling rage, the lid barely containing his desire to throw things around the room. It wasn't (Y/n)'s fault, he had to keep calm for her. He'd throw things around later. 

But why did she have to attract so many people ? Why couldn't it be simple, just the two of them and no one else ? 

Well then again she was irresistible, he couldn't blame people for falling under her charm. But they should know to stay away. Perhaps he hadn't been clear enough about the nature of their relationship, that's why something blossomed between her and this green haired girl. 

The simple thought of her made him cringe, mouth turning sour. 

Yes, he had been too careless, too pliant and confident. He'd have to rectify this, let everyone know (Y/n) was his just like he was hers. 

And the first person he'd have to put back in their place was Nathaniel.