The Arena: pt4

"Well, good morning kid

"Well, good morning kid. Where were you all night?" Doc asked as he dried his hair.

"Changing the subject. Scarlett, she's scared." 10k told the group when he entered their designated room. "If she leaves, then the people here will come after her- after us."

"How would you know?" Vasquez asked him.

"S-She told me."

Flashback

Scarlett's POV

"No, for making me love you." 10k said angrily. He reached his other hand out to shut the still open door.

"Tommy.. you can't. Tomorrow, you guys are gonna leave and forget about me. Just do that one favor for me. Please."

"What?" He furrowed his brows at me. "I- no. I can't do that-"

"You have to." I yelled, making him shut up. "I can't leave."

"What do you mean?"

"She'll send people after me."

"You can fight them."

"But you guys can't. Not against these people. They are ruthless and mean. They don't care that you're not even old enough to legally drink yet."

"I'm old enough to drink."

"You are?"

"Yeah, I'm 21."

"Wow, you're four years older than me- but that's not the point. They'll kill you. All of you."

"We'll kill them first. We'll get you out of here."

"How?"

"I don't know. We'll make a plan and we'll make it out of here. Together."

10k cupped my cheeks with both hands and stared into my eyes. I lent forward to lay my head under his chin. We fit together like missing puzzle pieces.

I felt one of his hands tangle into my hair and the other wrap around my back. I felt his soft lips press against my forehead.

I pulled back slightly and looked up at him. His eyes glanced down at my lips then back up. I knew what he wanted but the only way for him to know what I wanted was to show him.

I reached both my hands up and grabbed onto his neck. I stood on my toes to try and match his height but I was still an inch shorter. He immediately understood what I was trying to go for and wrapped both arms around the small of my back and lifted me.

Another second later, we were kissing.

It didn't feel like our other kisses, this one was different. The first he was disoriented from an explosion, the last I was dead and hungry. But now.. now we were both in the right headspace and knew exactly that this needed to happen between us.