-Chapter Two-

Clifford and I had our first official date a couple days later. He picked me up from my house, when my parents weren't home of course, and drove me to the restaurant we would be eating at.

Of course I was nervous, but I didn't really have anything to be nervous about. Clifford was so nice to me, consistently complimenting me, and so in tuned with our conversation that it barely felt like he was almost twice my age.

"So when do you start classes?" He questioned as he cut his steak.

"Next month actually." I sipped my lemonade.

He nodded his head. "Are you excited?"

"Of course, this is my dream school, and thanks to you I'm able to afford it." I smiled sweetly.

"I'm glad I could do that for you. It makes me feel good helping other people achieve their goals. And make sure you let me know if there's anything else that I can do for you."

"Clifford you're doing more than enough honestly, I really appreciate everything."

"No problem. I wish I took school seriously but I ended up dropping out. Thought I was going to be a rapper." He grinned.

"A rapper?" I laughed. "For some reason I could actually see that."

"Yeah me and my boys were making mixtapes and everything." He chuckled shaking his head. "Being a business man has treated me well though. I haven't regretted a thing."

"I hope I find something I love to do after I graduate. Right now I'm just going to school to make my family proud."

"Yeah it's good to make other people proud, but what about you? At the end of the day the only person who has to live with your decisions is you. Remember that."

We finished eating dinner and Clifford dropped me back off at home. I reached over and gave him a hug before hopping out the passenger seat and running into the house. I thanked God that I had made it back in time before my parents.

—————

My parents were so proud that I, their only daughter, was going to college on what they thought was a full-ride scholarship. But who cares, at least I'll still be going for free. I don't see what's wrong with spending a little time with a lonely man for him to fund my college tuition. Plus the guy is really nice, and I actually like spending time with him.

Clifford and I had been seeing each other a couple days a week for the last month. I was working hard at keeping this under wraps. My parents are very laid back but they tend to get nosey if they feel like I'm not telling them everything.

I decided to get ready for work early and get some Starbucks on my way. While in line I felt eyes staring at me. I looked around until finally I spotted this boy who was looking at me with his friends. I turned back around quickly and checked my phone. The barista handed me my drink and as I was leaving ole boy who was staring at me held the door open and followed me out.

"Thank you!" I yelled as I walked to my car quickly.

"You're welcome Miss...?"

"I'm late for work." I gave him a closed lip smile, unlocking the car door.

"Can I see you after work?" At this point I wanted to hit him with my car. He was persistent as hell. And even though he was cute with a pretty smile, which I was a sucker for, I just wasn't interested.

"No, but you can give me your number." I said praying he would take my offer so I could leave.

"You probably not gonna hit my phone anyway but here." He said grabbing my phone and putting his number in.