-Chapter Twenty-One-

"Fuck." I cursed under my breath as I read the email that came to my phone. It was another one of my professors emailing me about my attendance grade. At this point half of my professors had emailed me letting me know that I would fail their class if I didn't start showing up. It was annoying that they could fail me for not attending class without even knowing what was going on in my personal life, not that I could tell them anyway.

"What's wrong?" Clifford eyed me curiously. I didn't know he had heard me but it seemed like he was really tuned in to me these days. After that night everything was different. Clifford was more on edge and way more over protective than he already was.

"I'm going to fail another class." I rolled my eyes as I locked my phone.

"I told you to start going to class Chey. I'll have some people looking out for you. You'll be good."

I shrugged my shoulders. "It's not me I'm worried about. Plus, I think I want to drop out anyway."

"Dropout? Why would you do that? Going to school was your dream. I remember the way your eyes lit up the day we met while you talked about Howard."

"I know... but things changed." I looked out the window at the blue sky. Winter was over and the leaves were growing back on the trees. "Things are different now, and I don't want to waste my time or your money staying in school when my mind is somewhere else."

"Chey, I don't think I ask you for a lot. But please, stay in school. Whatever you need I'll make sure that you have it, but please for me?" He grabbed my hand. "I turned your life upside down. I need to know that I've done something right, and I see it in you baby. You're too smart to drop out, I don't want you to waste your life on me."

As much as I wanted to say no, I couldn't look Clifford in his eyes and deny him one of the only
things he's ever asked of me. I currently lacked the motivation to finish school, but I could find it if it would make him happy.

"Okay," I nodded slowly. "I'll go talk to my professors as soon as we get back from Jamaica." Imani and James were getting married in a few days, and they decided to have a destination wedding in Jamaica since neither of them had much friends or family. It was going to be like a vacation and I could not wait to get away.

"Thank you." He kissed my forehead. "I need to go to the club. You coming with me or you want to stay here?" He asked as he got up from his chair.

"I promised Tati I would go see her today so, I'll drive myself over there."

"You sure?" He raised his eyebrows. I hadn't left his side since the day of the shooting at the club and had been attached at the hip since the night he did the unspeakable. I knew it was time for me to gain a sense of independence back before I became completely reliant on Clifford. Plus, I definitely wasn't ready to step foot in that club again.

"Yeah I'll be fine. You're right, it's time for me to try and get back to my normal life." I reassured him. It seemed like these days Clifford was my life. I did very few things that didn't involve him. I didn't even know who I was without him anymore.

———

I drove myself to Tati and Tyreek's home and was greeted by Tati and her growing belly. Her small frame hid her pregnancy well from the front, but when she turned to the side you could clearly see her bump.

"I came bearing gifts!" I sang as I held up the Target bag full of snacks I brought. The grin that spread across Tati's face showed her appreciation.

"This is why I love you," she poked her lip out as she held out her hands for the bag.

"Don't start with the water works cry baby," I teased her. "You want to have a movie night?"

"Uh duh." She grinned. "And I need your help packing for this trip."