-Chapter Twenty-Three-

I sighed at the pregnancy test box I was holding in CVS. I had Clifford bring me here after dinner. I told him I needed more tampons but really I needed to figure out why I wasn't on my period right now. I was always regular and even though three days wasn't a big deal I was going to worry myself to death until I took a test.

I grabbed the quick results test and a box of tampons and proceeded to check out. Clifford was waiting in the car. When I got in he stared at me for half a second. "You good, mamas?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "Today has been a lot and I'm just tired."

"Right. Today was good though right? Your parents apologized and everything like you wanted."

"Oh yeah," I smiled. "That was a pleasant surprise for sure."

"For real," He nodded his head. "I did not expect your pops to have that energy honestly. Especially not with me."

"I honestly didn't either, I really expected him to keep giving you a hard time. But maybe they realized the only way for them to be in my life is to accept the other people who are also in my life... I'm grown now and my world does not revolve around them like when I was a little girl."

He nodded his head. "Everything good with you and your moms though? Y'all both seemed off when y'all came back from the restroom."

This man really noticed everything. I'd be surprised if he didn't know my period was late too. "Yeah we're good. Just had a mother daughter moment." I looked out the window but I could feel his eyes on the side of my face. I could tell he wanted to say or ask something else but instead he just reversed out of the parking spot we were sitting in.

———

I had the venue reserved for the gender reveal/baby shower, it was going to be in the club house at my apartment complex. With having to plan so last minute this was the best that I could do. Don't get me wrong, they were luxury condos, so of course the club house was nice as hell.

"Baby come here!" I yelled from the ladder I was standing on. "Hand me that tape please."

"You know we could've got somebody to do this," He chuckled as he handed me the tape.

"Well for one, I love event planning, and secondly
I'm not letting anybody else handle a party for Tati's picky ass." I knew how attentive to detail Tati was and I wanted her day to be perfect. The only way to make that happen was to do it myself. And atleast if she hated it she loves me too much to shit on my work.

"Shit, you ain't lying about picky." Clifford shook his head. "Anika had the hardest time finding those cupcake flavors she wanted."

"Tell her thank you for me again," I climbed down the ladder. "I really appreciate her for making it happen so last minute. Everything is perfect." I grinned as I scanned the room. The theme I chose is "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". I had the room decorated primarily gold, with little accents of baby blue and light pink.

"Girl I can finish this little stuff, you are running out of time to get ready." Imani looked me up and down. I still had on a t-shirt, shorts and my hair in a ponytail.

"Thank you Mani," I chuckled. "I need to shower and everything still. Can you make sure the food and the DJ get set up in time?"

"Yeah I got it. Go get ready."

I went upstairs to my apartment and took a shower. Once I got out I touched up my silk press with my hot comb and laid my edges before starting on my makeup. I reached under my sink to grab my make up bag and my heart almost fell to my ass. The pregnancy tests I bought were staring me in my face and reminding me that my period was now over a week late. I rolled my eyes at the box. I was not going to let this ruin today. I would have to worry about this later.