- Chapter Twenty-Five: Finale -

When James and Imani heard what happened they came down immediately. They came to the hospital to visit Clifford who had been in and out of sleep, and then they took Tati back to Cliffords house so that she could really rest. I knew she was worried sick and wanted to be here but she didn't need to be under that stress.

I was weary about telling my mom and dad what happened but I had to tell somebody so I called
my best friend. I sat in the car to call Bre and as soon as she answered I just cried and cried and cried some more. I cried until I didn't have any tears left. My life felt surreal right now.

Once I calmed down I was able to speak and think rationally.

"I'm keeping it." I stated after a moment of silence.

"Chey... I think that's great. You'll be a great
mom and I know Cliff will be happy."

"God gave me this baby for a reason. If something, god forbid, happens to Cliff, then I'll have a part of him with me still."

"He's going to be fine Chey. The doctors said he's recovering fine right?"

"Yeah, this time. But Bre you just don't understand..." I sighed.

"Hey some shit is better left unsaid. I don't
need to understand it, but I can tell Clifford knows what he's doing so all three of y'all will be alright."

It was better that I didn't tell Bre everything but we kind of had an unspoken understanding and she wasn't an idiot. The same way I could tell there was something up with Clifford, I'm sure she could too.

I talked to her for a little while longer before I decided to check on him again. When I walked back in the room the doctors and two nurses were also in there.

"Hey Cheyenne," The doctor looked over at me with a smile as I walked in. "Clifford's vitals look great. We can remove the breathing tube."

"Really?" My eyes started to water. It had only been a day since Clifford was admitted to the hospital but that was a day too long and I needed to hear his voice.

"Yep we're gonna prepare him now. This should be quick." I held his hand as they did their jobs. He didn't take his eyes off of me.

"Hey Cliff, I'm gonna need you to take a deep breath when I count to 3 and then exhale when I say go okay?"

He nodded his head and followed their directions. When the tube was out he coughed a little before trying to clear his throat.

"Damn," He chuckled as he caught his breath causing everyone in the room to laugh.

"How are you feeling?" The doctor asked.

"My throat is sore," He admitted. His voice definitely sounded like it.

"That is normal and will go away eventually. Other than that, any pain right now?"

"No, whatever y'all got me on is definitely working."

"Perfect, we'll keep it coming. I'll go ahead and give you two some privacy but let us know if you need anything." She said as she left the room with the nurses behind her.

"Hey mama," he smiled at me.

"Hey," I sniffled as I bent down to kiss him. I leaned my forehead against his. "Cliff..."

"I'm sorry." He whispered. "I am so sorry. I don't know who did this or why... but believe me-"

"Shh..." I kissed him again. "You don't gotta say it baby, I know." Somebody was going to die for what happened.

"You good?" He asked staring me in my eyes. I knew this was my time to drop the bomb on him.

"I have something to tell you..." I sighed looking up at the ceiling praying this was going to go the way everyone was telling me it would.