-Chapter Seven-

"Over here is where I want the column of balloons, okay? Directly across from here is where the photo booth needs to be." Tati directed the woman who was sketching notes in her notepad. Clifford's club was almost ready, and the grand opening is in two weeks. He asked for Tati to help him plan the party and of course she dragged me into it.

"I like that. We don't want this to be corny though. So no streamers." I instructed. I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket, so I just answered without paying attention to who it was. "Yeah?" I answered.

"Yeah? Cheyenne Marie... is this how you greet your mother now?" My moms voice flew through the speakers causing a smile to spread across my face.

"Hey mama. I'm sorry, I thought it was somebody else."

"Hey baby. Your dad and I just wanted to check in on you. We haven't gotten a call from you in a while."

"My bad ma, I've just been really busy."

"Too busy to come see your parents?" She questioned. Instantly guilt set in. My family only lives 45 minutes away from campus yet I had only gone home to see them twice. I hadn't seen them at all in this last month since I've been so caught up with stuff with Clifford.

"Mama you know it's not even like that. Y'all could come see me sometime."

"I'm glad you said that, because we were planning on coming up tomorrow morning."

"Tomorrow?" I asked surprised. Yes my parents had been overbearing in the past but I didn't think they would be the type to just pop up on me. "Okay, that's fine. I can't wait to see y'all!"

I was genuinely excited to be able to see my parents. It had been a while and I did miss them.

When me and my mom got off the phone I went upstairs to find Clifford in his office.

"Knock, knock." I whispered tapping on the door lightly.

Cliffords head snapped up. "Hey beautiful. Come in."

I entered his office and sat on his lap. "What you working on?"

"Just some payroll stuff, trying to approve paperwork for these new employees Tati hired. How's planning going downstairs?"

"It's going. I think you'll love it."

"If you had a hand in it, you know I'll love it." He kissed my check. I rolled my eyes at how mushy he could be.

"So..." I started to speak quietly.

"I knew it. What you need some money?"

I laughed. "Noooo. My parents are coming down this weekend."

"Oh really..."

"Yeah, they haven't seen me in a while. They probably just want to lay eyes on me, make sure my hair isn't falling out and I'm not pregnant."

"You sure?" He asked rubbing his hand across my stomach.

"Uh uh cut it out." I swatted his hand away. "But I just wanted to let you know that you probably won't see me tonight cause they're coming up tomorrow morning."

"That's okay. I see you all the time. Spend time with your family."

I kissed his cheek as I stood up to go back downstairs.