-Chapter Twenty-

It was 4 in the afternoon the next day before Clifford came home, but he came home with Tyreek by his side.

Tati cried tears of joy and I thanked God for bringing them both home. It turns out that the shooting was non-fatal so the judge granted Reek bail, and Clifford posted it for him of course. His court date was a few months away but atleast he was out for now.

"Reek," Tati wrapped her arms around him. "Don't ever do no dumb shit like that again!" She pushed him. "Do you know how worried I was?!"

Tyreek chuckled and kissed her. "I'm sorry mami. I really am. That shit should've never happened." He shook his head. "I know I fucked up and I'm so sorry."

Clifford came and laid across the couch with his head in my lap. I stroked his face, finally able to take a deep breath. "Everything okay?" I asked him.

He looked up at me with worried eyes. "For now." This was the first time Clifford ever let me see him worried, and it shook me. In my eyes Clifford was always strong and unbreakable, but I noticed how much last night changed him.

———

I started to skip class, having my classmates send me their notes and assignment answers for free VIP entry to Gemini. I just needed to be near Clifford and so, I lived in his skin for the next few days. When he moved, I moved. I wanted to be breathing the same air as him at all times.

Days turned into weeks and I guess eventually Clifford had enough. He sighed as I opened his office door, still in my pajamas. "Chey I'm not paying your tuition for you to be sitting in the house up under me. What is going on?" He didn't look aggravated, he looked genuinely concerned.

"Clifford something is not right." I sighed. "I can feel it. I felt it the day of the shooting and didn't say anything, but I just need to be near you. To protect you."

"To protect me?" He looked confused. "Come here mama." He pulled me on to his lap. "Talk to me."

"I don't know I just been so scared. I can't sleep when you're not in the bed. When I close
my eyes I have nightmares. It's always something different but every time it ends in me losing you. Even either of us being in the shower is us being apart too long. I can't take it." I felt my anxiety rise just thinking about it. The night at the club made me realize how easily he could be taken from me and it had me on edge.

"Chey," He almost whispered as he rested his forehead against mine. "I am so sorry I brought you into this shit. Into my world. Into this life. That was selfish of me. You don't need to be worried like this."

"Don't be sorry Clifford, because I'm not. I love you and I need you. I just don't want anything to happen to you."

"Nothing is going to happen to me." He rubbed my cheek.

"I just keep thinking about Simone, your wife, and how if she wasn't there... what would've happened?" It almost sounded crazy coming out of my mouth, but she saved him. If she felt the way that I feel about Clifford then I completely understand why she did what she did. If it came down to it, I know I would pull the trigger behind him without a second thought.

"No Cheyenne. Stop. Listen to me right now. I'm not going to let you take on my burdens. This life I chose is on me. I got lucky enough to be blessed with a woman who would lie down for me twice in this lifetime. I lost the first one. I'm not letting it happen again. I brought you into my world, I'm protecting you. And that's it. But I promise baby, everything is okay, okay? We're good. You don't need to worry."