-Chapter Four-

I just couldn't believe what I saw. Did Kyle really have a baby on the way? Was he in a relationship with Taylor? Why didn't he tell me about this?

"Bre everything was so perfect last night and then it just all went to shit in one second," I complained into my phone.

"I think you should hear him out. Everything you've told me about him makes me feel like Kyle is a good dude. I don't think he would do no snake shit to you." Bre tried to reason with me.

"Man I don't know. He almost had me too cause that sex last night was crazy lit. But now... I have a guard up with him."

"See here you go. Drawing conclusions before you even know the whole story."

"Hold up bitch. You're supposed to be my best friend. Who's fuckin side are you on?!" I snapped.

"Girl please I will hang up on you right now. You know I'll have your back through everything, but you also know Imma let you know when you're wrong, and right now I think you're wrong. But go enjoy your little baecation with Clifford. I gotta go clock in. I love you mamas."

I sighed. "I love you too butt head." Bre chuckled as she hung up. Maybe I was overreacting.. but that's not something I wanted to talk about right now. I went into my phone and muted all messages and calls from Kyle. I didn't want to talk to him or be reminded of him at all this weekend.

I finished packing my bag as I waited for Clifford to come get me. At almost 10 o'clock on the dot, he let me know he was downstairs.

I got to the big Escalade and smiled at Clifford who was waiting at the trunk to put my bag in.

I hugged him and then hopped in the car quickly. He got in the driver's seat and looked at me with furrowed eyebrows. "What's wrong Cheyenne?"

I shrugged. "Nothing. I'm okay." I tried to convince myself.

He shook his head not accepting my answer. "You know you can talk to me right?"

I sighed and looked at him honestly. "I just wish more boys my age were like you."

Clifford chuckled softly. "Ah... boy problems. Believe it or not, I wasn't always like this. This level of maturity and respect for women takes time."

I nodded my head as I looked out the window. I hated feeling like I was tripping.

"But any young dude would be lucky to have you and would be foolish to mess that up. Anybody, no matter their age, should be able to see that... Anybody who's worth your time at least."

"Thank you, Clifford..." I looked back at him. "Thank you for always being so kind to me."

"It's not about being kind, Cheyenne. I'm just being real with you. You deserve that."

After a long pause of silence, Clifford spoke again. "You're with me this weekend, so whatever is going on, you can leave that behind. You know I'll take care of you." He rubbed his thumb over my hand.

Every time Clifford said he would take care of me I couldn't help but think he meant more than monetarily. I didn't want to cross a line and get physical with Clifford. Not that I didn't find him extremely attractive, I just don't think that would be good for our arrangement.

I leaned my head against his window and slowly drifted asleep as Clifford drove us to New York.

—————

I woke up feeling the truck at a complete stop. Clifford shook me softly. "Hey, we're here." I looked around to see us sitting in front of a hotel. "I'm gonna go check us in and then I'll come back to get you."