Chapter 19

Staring up at the ceiling of the TARDIS, Addi gasped as the air was knocked from her lungs. Somewhere, Rose shouted for the Doctor to stop, but the madman didn't. Another screech escaped the young girl's lips as she slid over the grated floor.

"1979. Hell of a year! China invades Vietnam. The Muppet Movie- love that film. Margaret Thatcher. Ugh, Skylab falls to Earth, with a little help from me," The Doctor paused, tugging Addi up from the floor and showing her his thumb as he pulled her and Rose out the door. "Nearly took of my thumb. And I like my thumb. I need my thumb. I'm very attached to-" Rifles cock in front of them, "-my thumb."

Addi frowned as she spotted the Redcoats surrounding them, the leader seeming to be on a black horse. The young girl took a step behind the Doctor, taking a hold of his hand and Rose's hand. "This isn't 1979, Doctor."

"1879. Same difference."

Addi scrunched her face at him in annoyance.

The man on the horse began to speak to them, "You will explain your presence. And the nakedness of the tall girl and the style of the little one."

Addi smirked at Rose, who looked down at her outfit in confusion. The Doctor nudged them both, reverting to a Scottish accent as he replied to the man, "Are we in Scotland?"

"How can you be ignorant of that?" The same man questioned. Addi wanted to roll her eyes at him.

"Oh, I'm- I'm dazed and confused. I've been chasing this wee naked child over hill and over dale. Isn't that right, ya' timorous beastie?"

"Och, aye! I've been oot and aboot," Rose said, trying to muster a believable Scottish accent and failing miserably. Addi bit her lip to keep from laughing.

"No. Don't do that," the Doctor whispered to her, which she ignored.

"Hoots mon."

"No. Really don't. Really," he tried again. Addi shook her head and smacked her sister on the arm.

"And what of the little one?"

"I also spotted the naked girl, running about the hills. She had stolen my chicken!"

The Doctor and Rose looked over at her in shock; not only had she put on an acceptable Scottish accent, but the lie had rolled off her lips with ease. Rose looked offended after the shock had worn off.

"Then where is the chicken?"

"...she dropped it."

The man eyed her, turning back to the Doctor, " Will you identify yourself, sir?"

"I'm Doctor James McCrimmon, from the township of Balamory. I have my credentials, if I may," he reached into his coat pocket and pulled out the psychic paper. "As you can see, a Doctorate from the university of Edinburgh. I trained under Doctor Bell himself."

"Let them approach," And English voice rang out from the carriage nearby. 

The man spoke again, "You will approach the carriage and show all due deference."

A footman opened the door letting them see inside. Addi's eyes widened in surprise at who she saw. The Doctor spoke, "Rose, Addi, might I introduce her Majesty Queen Victoria. Empress of India and Defender of the Faith." 

Rose blushed under the powerful eye of the queen, while Addi gave a dimpled smile. "Rose Tyler, Ma'am. And my apologies for being so naked," Rose spoke, giving a slight bow at the waist.

"Addi Tyler, your Highness. My apologies for my sister's nakedness," Addi smirked, earning a wack on the arm from Rose. "Ouch!"

Queen Victoria gave them both a warm smile, "I've had five daughters. It's nothing to me. But you, Doctor. Show me these credentials."

Addi rubbed her sore arm as the Doctor handed over the psychic paper. The Queen's face lit up, "Why didn't you say so immediately? It states clearly here that you have been appointed by the Lord Provost as my protector."

The Doctor's face furrowed in confusion, "It does?"

Addi sent a pointy elbow to his side.

"Oof! Yes, it does. Good, good. Then let me ask- why is Your Majesty traveling by road when there's a train all the way to Aberdeen?" 

Victoria raised a brow, completely unamused by her predicament. "A tree on the line," she said.

"An accident?" the Doctor asked.

"She's the Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland," Addi told him as if it were the most obvious thing in the world that it probably wasn't an accident.

"Yes, dear," Victoria began, "everything around me tends to be planned."

"An assassination attempt?" the Doctor questioned once more. Addi raised a brow at him- for such a smart man, he could be very dim sometimes.

"What, seriously? There's people out to kill you?" Rose spoke up for the first time in a while.

"She's the Queen, Rose. Of course people are out to kill her," Addi whispered to her sister, leaning in to speak as quiet as possible. Rose only pushed her face away. Add huffed and crossed her arms.

"I'm quite used to staring down the barrel of a gun," Victoria responded to Rose.

One of the guard approached, the same one from earlier, but Addi hadn't bothered to catch his name. "Sir Robert MacLeish lives but ten miles hence. We've sent word ahead. He'll shelter us for tonight, then we can reach Balmoral tomorrow."

Victoria glance over at the newcomers once again, "This Doctor, the lovely young girl, and his timorous beastie will come with us."

"Yes, Ma'am. We'd better get moving - it's almost nightfall," the guard replied.

The Queen let a sly smile fall on her lips, "Indeed. And there are stories of wolves in these parts. Fanciful tales intended to scare the children. But good for the blood, I think. Drive on!"

Addi frowned as a shiver ran down her spine. Soon she followed after the Doctor and Rose behind the carriage- thoughts wandering back to her friends. The Doctor and Rose were having an animated conversation ahead of her, but she really couldn't bring herself to listen to it. All she could think about was Sirius Black and Harry's misguided hatred for him.