Chapter 9

The talk with McGonagall had gone well enough. Unfortunately, Addi would have to attend a week of detention with Professor Lupin. It was only unfortunate in the fact that it was detention, not because Addi had concluded that Lupin was a werewolf. She was certain of it when she went back to the common room later that night and checked, asking Hermione when the full moon was. Hermione was snuggled on the sofa with Crookshanks, who purred happily when Addi stroked his ginger fur. Of course, Hermione had told her that the full moon was yesterday, which corresponds with him missing class the day after. Addi didn't know much about werewolves, but she figured the transformation from man to beast must be pretty painful.

    Later that night, Harry had told her about Malfoy's note, which he kept in order to show her. His reasoning was iffy; he wanted to keep Malfoy on Addi's bad side. Apparently, Addi and Draco were caught sharing not-so-secret smiles with each other in the Great Hall. The note didn't have its desired effect, and all she did was tell him to ignore it.  

   Now, sitting next to Harry on the sofa in the common room after dinner, Addi began to gently play with his hair. His head was in its usual position on her lap, and his left arm dangled off the side of the cushions. The fire flickered softly in the hearth, as the pair talked about the match against Hufflepuff tomorrow. Addi had told him that it was supposed to be pouring rain and she was nervous about flying in it. 

   Addi had become a Gryffindor chaser in her second year, although she didn't get to play very much since a big snake was petrifying people around the school. Harry and Ron were the ones who encouraged her to try out, and Oliver about kissed her after seeing her swerving between players and bludgers alike, chucking the quaffle through the hoop fast enough to make his head spin.

   "We're going to be fine, Addi. You're one of the best players on the team. If anyone can play in the pouring rain and lightning, it's you," Harry had told her, trying to boost her confidence.

   "Lightning?! Why would you say lightning?!"

~~~

   Rain poured down on the stands as the people within them cheered for the players. Addison flew as fast as her broom would carry her without the wind blowing her around. She could barely see through the rain, which soaked her to the bone. Despite her frozen limbs, Addi had managed to score thirty points for the Gryffindor team. Not only was she keeping an eye out for her teammates, but also for some of her friends on the Hufflepuff team. Distracted by something in the clouds, Addi halted her broom, which hovered twenty feet above the ground. The wind whipped the rain against her quidditch uniform as her head tilted up to get a better look at whatever was flying through the sky. 

   It was the box, the one Dean had showed her in divination, and the one she had seen soar across the sky the night Sirius Black had attacked the Fat Lady. 

   Unfortunately, she was so distracted that she didn't see the bludger barreling toward her. A sickening crunch filled the air as the destructive ball made contact with the side of her body.  Falling twenty feet to the ground, Addi found it hard to breathe, so much so that her vision began to line with black. Hitting the ground, another crunch echoed in her ears,  and the last thing she heard was a loud siren sound and her sister shouting her name.

~~~

   Breathing hurt. Every breath she took felt like a she was being stabbed repeatedly, but she looked as calm as ever. Most of the Gryffindor team, Ron and Hermione were standing around Harry's bed considering he woke up first. Addi heard their voices before her eyes even opened, talking about how the match turned out. Her heart dropped when she heard that Hufflepuff won after Cedric caught the snitch. 

   It was hard to move, the pain in her ribs was sending waves of agony rippling throughout her body. Eventually, she managed to sit up catching the eye of Madam Pomfrey, who was trying to kick the team out of the Hospital Wing.

   "Miss Tyler! How are you feeling dear?" All eyes were on her now, but she didn't look at any of them. 

   "It hurts to breath."

   "It's no wonder, dear. All the ribs on your left side are broken, and you have two more broken ones on the right," Madam Pomfrey explained while handing her a glass of water.

   "What?! What happened to you?" Harry inquired from the bed across from her, glaring slightly when Fred sat next to her. 

   "I don't remember," She lied. Whatever she had been seeing wasn't normal, at least not for wizards. Addi promised she wouldn't keep secrets from them anymore, but everyone has secrets, and she didn't want them to know that she was scared. Scared of the blue box that flew around different parts of her mind, and scared that her sister was gone forever.

   "You got hit with a bludger, Addikins. Fell twenty feet to the ground," George explained while Fred looked away guiltily from beside her. 

   "Oh," Was all she mumbled, watching as Madam Pomfrey checked on Harry and told him he was good to go. Harry, Ron, and Hermione moved to sit on her other side, but Madam Pomfrey ushered them away.

   "Out. All of you. Miss Tyler has some ribs that have to be set into place and none of you need to see it," They all began to protest, but they were quickly ushered out, Madam Pomfrey having to push them out of the room. "Miss Granger, come back in a few hours with some clothes for Miss Tyler, please."

   The doors were shut firmly, and Addi whimpered as Madam Pomfrey walked back over to her. 

   "Is it going to hurt?" Addi asked with a kicked puppy look making Madam Pomfrey soften slightly.

   "I would be surprised if you didn't scream, dear."

   Startled by the answer, Addi tried to shift away from the woman, but ended up crying out in pain.

   "Stop moving around. I only have to set three, then I'll heal you right up, and you'll be brand new," Madam Promfrey told the girl, lifting her shirt to exam the sickeningly black bruise that covered her entire left side.

   Readying herself, Addi clenched her eyes shut.

~~~

   Harry, Ron, Hermione, Fred and George were walking away from the Hospital Wing, chatting amongst each other, Harry only joining in when asked something; still upset because of the loss of his broom and losing the match. All of the friends would glance back at the doors in worry every few steps. 

   A piercing scream echoed through the corridor causing them to freeze. Two more identical ones rang just behind the first. Taking a deep breath through her nose, Hermione tugged at Harry and Ron's wrists with teary eyes. The group walked back to the common room in silence, the screams replaying in their heads like a broken record.