Chapter 20

They had stopped in the courtyard of a massive estate. Addison gazed at the building in awe, but soon found herself curious as a hooded figure appeared in a window then disappeared with the swoosh of the curtains. A man had come outside to greet them, Queen Victoria greeting him as Sir Robert. Another figure appeared in a downstairs window this time and Addison squinted to try and see under their hood. 

"Addi, come on," Rose ushered her inside, but not before she glanced down through one of the cellar windows and catching a glimpse of a large cage.

Addi followed the Doctor and Rose into a room with Queen Victoria in the lead. Addi marveled at the giant bronze telescope stood proud in the center of the room. A glint flashed through her eyes and she held a her small emerald ring up to the end of it watching as the light refracted of it in and odd way.

"Hmm," she mumbled, Queen Victoria glancing at the girl in fascination. 

"This is the famous Endeavour, I believe," She spoke to the girl, looking at Mr. Robert for comfirmation.

The man nodded as Rose approached her sister, "All my father's work. Built by hand in his final years. Became something of an obsession. He spent his money on this rather than caring for the house or himself."

"Where'd you get that ring, Addi?" Rose asked as the younger girl stepped away from the massive telescope. 

"I got it for Christmas last year. I don't know who it was from though," Addi responded, showing her sister the small emerald stone set onto a twisted sliver band. 

"Must be a secret admirer, huh, Doctor?" Rose nudged the man beside her with a smug grin, but he wasn't paying attention.

Instead he was gaping at the bronze beauty in front of him, like Addi had moments before, "I wish I'd met him. I like him. That thing's beautiful. Can I?"

Sir Robert held his hands out toward it in an inviting way, "Help yourself."

The Doctor lit up like a lightbulb and stepped forward to examine it, "What did he model it on?"

"I know nothing about it," Sir Robert began. "To be honest, most of us thought him a little, shall we say, eccentric. I wish now I'd spent more time with him and listened to his stories."

"Its a bit rubbish," The Doctor told him, as Addi stared at him with wide eyes. "How many prisms has it got? Way too many. The magnification's gone right over the top. That's stupid kind of," He turned to Rose and Addison, "Am I being rude again?

"Yes, now shush," Addi said to him. 

He ignored her and spun around to Sir Robert, "But it's pretty.  It's very pretty!"

"Doctor, I don't think it is meant for looking at the stars," Addi told him, remembering the way her ring looked.

He didn't hear her however, as Queen Victoria had spoken over her, "And the imagination of it should be applauded."

Instead of taking part in the conversation for any longer, Addi wandered from the room and into the hallway where she began observing the portraits and painting around her. She longed for them to move and speak, swearing at her and Ron for using bad language as they chased each other around. She knew in that moment that she was home sick- not of her tiny flat back in London, but of her family at Hogwarts. 

A gasp escaped her lips as a large hand grabbed her forearm in a fierce grip. A cloth was held up to her nose as her panicked breathes allowed whatever was on it to enter her system. She felt her eyes rolling back into her head as darkness consumed her.

~~~

A gentle hand woke her from her impromptu nap, and her eyes fluttered open to see an unfamiliar woman stroking her blonde hair. Addi jumped away with a start and opened her mouth to scream, but the look of horror on the lady's face made her pause.

"Please," she whispered, " do not turn around."

Addi became increasingly aware of her back against something wooden and a deep breath huffed onto her neck made the hair move away from it. Shuddering, Addi twisted in her spot, coming face to face with pitch black eyes.

~~~

Rose got up moving toward the crate, as far as the chain would let her go. 

"Don't child," Isobel warned.

"Who are you?"

"Don't engage him," the man next to the dark haired woman spoke.

"Where are you from? You're not from Earth. What planet are you from?"

The thing spoke in a low, growling voice, "Oh, intelligence. Just like the other girl."

"Where were you born?" Rose tried again.

"This body?" The man asked with a grim smile. " Ten miles away. A weakling, heartsick boy, stolen away at night by the brethren for my cultivation. I carved out his soul and sat in his heart."

The thing pulled a body around from behind him and began playing with the blonde locks. Rose's breath quickened when she realized who it was. She tried to distract it, "All right, so the body's human. But what about you, the thing inside?"

The man gazed down at the girl in his lap and continued to pet her, "So far from home."

"If you want to get back home, we can help," Rose spoke in panic.

The man removed his black gaze from Addison, still sleeping in his lap, "Why would I leave this place? A world of industry, of workforce and warfare. I could turn it to such purpose."

"How would you do that?"

"I would migrate to the Holy Monarch."

"You mean Queen Victoria?" Rose questioned trying to discretely unlock the cage door and get her sister out. A terrible plan.

The man saw what she was trying to do and hid Addi behind him once again and growled until Rose stumbled back away from the cage. "With one bite, I would pass into her blood, and then it begins. The Empire of the Wolf. Many questions." 

He lunged at the cage again and Rose lost her footing, and fell. She stared into his black eyes as he spoke, "Look. Inside your eyes. You've seen it too."

"Seen what?" Rose gulped.

"The wolf," he said to her. "There is something of the Wolf about you."

"I don't know what you mean," Rose whimpered, giving Addison a hopeless and painful glance.

The creature pressed his face against the bars of the crate, "You burnt like the sun, but all I require is the moon."

Addi gasped and sat up, face full of fear as she looked straight at Rose ignoring the creature who slunk back beside her. Rose let her tear-filled eyes shed a tear, "Addi! Addi, don't worry. I'll get you out."

"Bad Wolf, beware the tower of wood's ablaze. You will fall," Addi's voice was scratchy and rough and her eyes went milky white. The monster cackled and caught Addi as she passed back into unconsciousness.