Chapter 6

Addison and Harry walked toward Professor Lupin's classroom in comfortable silence, meeting Ron, Seamus, Neville, and Dean along the way. Hermione had run off according to Ron, so the five boys and Addi walked into the Defense Classroom, regarding the Slytherins standing to one side of the room.

   In the middle of the room stood a large wardrobe, rattling violently. The students eyed it as Professor Lupin began the lesson.

   "Intriguing, yes? Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what's inside?" Addi looked at the teacher with a soft expression. He had three long scars running down his face, and he looked tired.

   "That's a Boggart, that is," Dean answered.

   "Very good, Mr. Thomas. Can anyone tell us what a Boggart looks like?" 

   "No one knows," Addi stated, only to hear her voice clash with another one. The blonde looked over to see Hermione standing on the other side of Ron. Addi sent the girl a smile, which was returned. 

   Ron jumped in fright at the sudden appearance of their friend, whispering to Harry, "When'd she get here?"

   "Boggarts are shape-shifters-" Hermione started glancing at Addi who continued for her.

    "-They take the shape of whatever a particular person fears most."

    "That's what makes it so-" Hermione went to finish.

   "Terrifying, Yes." Professor Lupin finished glancing between the two girls with a raised eyebrow. "Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a Boggart. Let's practice it now, shall we? Without wands, please... Riddikulus!"

   Everyone repeated the word, Addi had to cover her mouth to hide her smile when she heard Draco mutter 'this class is ridiculous'. 

    "Good. So much for the easy part. You see, the incantation alone is not enough. What really finishes a Boggart off is... laughter. You need to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing. Neville, come up here, will you?" Neville stepped forward carefully, eyeing the still rattling wardrobe.

   "What would you say is the thing that frightens you most?" Professor Lupin asked the boy, who looked down slightly and mumbled something. "Didn't catch that, Neville, sorry."

   Neville looked at Professor Lupin, "Professor Snape."

   Most students laughed at Neville, Addi nodded her head in understanding; Snape could be quite scary when he wanted to be. Lupin nodded like Addi had, though with a more thoughtful expression.

   "Hmm...yes. Neville, I believe you live with your grandmother?" 

   "Yes, but I don't want that Boggart to turn into her either," Neville replied, glancing nervously at the Professor.

   "It won't. But I want you to picture her clothes, only her clothes, very clearly in your mind. Can you do that?" Neville closed his eyes and started to describe his grandmothers clothes out loud. "That's fine. We don't need to hear it. If you see it, we will. Now, when I open this wardrobe, Neville, here's what I want you to do," Professor Lupin then proceeded to whisper something into Neville's ear making the boy nod slightly. "You can do this, Neville."

   Neville looked at him nervously, but nodded and took a deep breath. Professor Lupin told Neville to get his wand ready, then counted down from three and opened the wardrobe with his wand. The door of the wardrobe swung open with a creak making Addi wince slightly. Out came Professor Snape in all his greasy-ness, stalking toward Neville, who backed away in fright.