Chapter 35

The next month of school flew by and before she knew it, Addi was stepping off the train onto the platform with her luggage. Her three best friends were right behind her. Ron gave them all a hug before he had to depart and find the rest of his siblings, Hermione telling the remaining two that she would write often then disappearing into the crowd to locate her parents. Together, Harry and Addi left the platform, stopping at the curb outside King's Cross Station. They had to take two different buses to get back home.

"I will see you in two months," Addi grinned, tugging Harry into a hug.

"It's such a long time," the boy whined, squeezing her tight.

"It'll be over before you know it," Addi promised, spotting her bus down a ways. Planting a kiss on his cheek, she rushed off toward the vehicle dragging her luggage behind her. Harry watched her go with pink cheeks.

~~~

Taking her luggage from the bus driver, Addi gave him a quick but genuine thanks and took off toward her apartment building. She struggled to yank her heavy suitcase up behind her on the stairs, letting out a breath of relief when she reached her floor. A bright smile lit up her features as she practically sprinted down the hall toward her apartment.

"I'm home!" Addi shouted, stepping into the small entrance hallway. Her eyebrows furrowed when something crinkled under her feet. Looking down she saw a pile of mail sitting on the rug.

She picked it up and moved further into the apartment, worry starting to bloom in her chest. She noticed the way dust had piled on every available surface and upon further investigation found dirty dishes and mugs in the sink. "Mum?" she called out again. "Maybe she's staying at a mates," she mumbled to herself.

Ditching her luggage in her room, Addi fancied a cup of tea, but when she opened the fridge she almost passed out at the horrible smell that drifted out. "God, mum! How long have you been gone?"

A few minutes later, after nearly vomiting while dumping out the spoiled milk and throwing all the bad food into the trash, she exited the apartment with the disgusting bag of garbage in her grasp. Tossing it in the bin behind her complex, Addi turned to go back up but stopped in her tracks at the sight of a blue box.

A large smile graced her features and she rushed in it's direction. She realized that her sister and Mum must have gone with the Doctor and relief spread through her chest. Knocking on the doors, Addi jumped on her toes, waiting for them to open.

They swung open seconds later to reveal the Doctor, but he was frowning and looked exhausted. Addi's grin immediately dropped. "What's wrong?" She asked, side-stepping him to enter the TARDIS. "Where are my mom and Rose?" The Doctor opened his mouth to answer, but Addi had already began speaking again, "I'm surprised you got Mum to come along. She never was much of an adventurer."

"Addi," he tried, voice breaking as he did so. She turned to him, smile slowly falling. "They're gone."

Her world completely shattered. How could this be happening? She'd just found her father and now she'd lost her mother and sister. It couldn't be true. She refused to believe it. "That's not funny, Doctor."

"They're still alive, but they're in a different universe," He tried to explain, but the words fell upon deaf ears as Addi left the TARDIS, trying to go back to her apartment where he mother and sister would be. They would say 'Got you!' and they would laugh while holding her in their embrace.

Two arms encircled her, keeping her from going any further and she knew it was the Doctor, "No! They're inside. It isn't funny!"

"I'm sorry, Addi. They're not." The Doctor told her as tears overflowed from her brown eyes.

"NO!" Her body collapsed, the only thing keeping her up was the Doctor as she wailed into the London afternoon. The Doctor picked her up, carrying her sobbing form back into the TARDIS. "What happened?" She asked through gasping breaths.

So, he launched into the story of the Daleks against the Cybermen and how he and Rose had sucked them all into the void. He explained how Rose lost her grip and almost ended up in the void if it weren't for her dad jumping across universes and saving her. All throughout the story, he would smile sadly, but with pride as he spoke about Rose.

By the time he was finished, Addi had composed herself to quite tears and a few sniffles. "Can't we go get them then?"

"I'm sorry, Addi, but the TARDIS can't travel between universes," He said, feeling guilty as he cradled the girl- he was the reason she had lost her family.

"What am I supposed to do?" She sniffed. "They were all I had."

The Doctor shook his head, "You know that isn't true..." He trailed off as an idea came to mind. "But I might know of a way we can contact them one last time."

Addi looked up at him through teary eyes and gave him a firm nod.

~~~