Chapter 29

"What just happened?" Harry asked the brunette, who was untangling them from the pendant's chain. "Where's Ron?"

"It's 7:30," Addi informed Hermione, tugging the bottom of her sleeves over her hands. She glanced at Harry for a moment then moved to nudge Hermione. "Do you remember what we were doing at 7:30?"

The other girl shook her head, "No. Harry?"

He continued to look around in utter confusion, "I don't know, going to Hagrid's?"

"Come on-" Hermione grabbed both of their arms, pulling them out of the hospital wing, "-and we can't be seen!"

"We can't?" Addi questioned her. That was new.

Yet her question was left unanswered as they continued to rush through the halls. Harry was shouting all they way for them to slow down and explain. Finally, Hermione skidded to a stop right before the exit of the covered bridge, Addi and Harry right behind her. This position allowed them to see their previous selves fighting Malfoy. The blond girl sighed as she recalled the scene. 

"Hermione, will you please tell me what it is that we're doing?" Harry blurted before peaking around the corner and laying eyes on the people below. "That's us. This is not normal."

The brunette sighed, pushing him against the stone wall. Addi stepped back, shoving her hands into her back pockets. Hermione sent her a look and refocused on Harry, holding the necklace up in front of his eyes. "This is a time turner, Harry. McGonagall gave it to me first term. This is how I've been getting to my classes all year."

"You mean we've gone back in time?" He asked her, then looked over at Addi. "And you knew about this?"

Addi shrugged with nonchalance and leaned to look around the corner. Hermione felt her lips twitch up, "She figured it out." Her eyes found Harry's once more, " Dumbledore obviously wanted us to return to this moment. Clearly something happened that he wants us to change."

All three of them looked back out at the squabble taking place right as Hermione punched Malfoy in the face. Addi giggled as the platinum blonde stumbled and fell over on impact. Harry smiled at the sound, patting Hermione on the back, "Nice punch."

"Thanks," she grinned back, giving Addi a high five.

Panic settled on Addi's face as the trio of Slytherins ran up the hill towards them. Yanking the two across the bridge, out one of the side arches, and onto the grass where they pressed their backs to the cobbled wall.

"Not a word to anyone, understand!" Draco yelled at his two goons. "I'm gonna get that jumped-up mudblood! Mark my words!"

Addi rolled her eyes, that feeling of betrayal creeping back up in the pit of her stomach. As soon as their past selves were headed down to Hagrid's, Addi rushed out and looked over the edge at Buckbeak, her eyes lighting up in realization.  "Of course!"

"What is it, Addi?" Hermione asked, stopping behind her as Harry followed her line of vision. 

"Look, Buckbeak's alive!" 

"Exactly! That's what Dumbledore was talking about. He wants us to save Buckbeak as well as Sirius!" Addi told them, and excited grin on her face. 

"Of course! Dumbledore said if we succeed, more than one innocent life could be spared. Let's go." Hermione latched onto Harry's hand once again and reached for Addi's, but the girl stepped away. 

"Innocent..." Addi mumbled, eyes lighting up with an idea. She turned to Hermione and Harry, "You guys go ahead. I think I thought of something that could help us later on." 

They both hesitated at their friend's words. Hermione sighed, "Are you sure?"

"Yes. I'll be perfectly safe and everything. I know the rules," Addi stated, rushing back up the hill before either of them could protest further. 

~~~

Dashing through the halls of the Hogwarts castle, Addison felt a surge of anxiety rush through her. What if she didn't make it in time? What if Sirius died? What would happen if she accidentally broke a rule? All these questions distracted her from her surroundings until she found herself tackling someone to the ground- unintentionally, of course. 

"Woah there, Miss Tyler," her victim wheezed.

Wide-eyed, Addi rolled off of Professor Lupin and blushed in embarrassment. Wobbling to her feet, she brushed the dirt off her shirt and held a hand out for the man still lying on the floor. He took it, getting himself up onto unsteady feet. She took a moment to observe him and frowned at the dark bags under his eyes and pale complexion. 

"I'm so sorry, Professor Lupin," Addi began. "I was actually looking for you." His tired eyes gave her an inquisitive look, urging her to carry on. "I just wanted to make sure that you take your potion tonight."

He shot her a face, glancing around the area before tugging her with gentle hands into a nearby classroom. Closing the door, he turned around and leaned his back against it, "So you know about the potion then, yes?"

Addi nodded, "Yes, sir. I did some research into the subject once I figured it out." She glanced at her feet with a sheepish tint on her ears, "I thought maybe I could find something to help you."

Despite her eyes being elsewhere, he sent her a watery smile," Well, I appreciate that Addi. However, I've looked into the subject more times than I can count. The only thing that even remotely helps is the Wolfsbane potion."

"But that's the thing, Professor," Addi lit up like a Christmas tree. "I think I found something else!" Lupin gave her an incredulous look, so she carried on. "Well, I more, like, created it. It's a spell, you see. That would theoretically turn a werewolf human for a short amount of time. However, I've never been able to practice it or try it out on a werewolf, so I couldn't say for sure if it works-" Addi's eyebrows stitched together as Lupin wrapped her in his arms. She felt something wet hit her neck and frowned, realizing he was crying. "Professor?"

"Why would you do something like that?" He whimpered, pulling back and holding her at arms length. "Why would you do something like that for someone like me?" 

Her frown deepened, "What do you mean someone like you? A good man?" He only seemed to shed more tears at her words. 

"I'm not a good man, Addison. I'm not."

"Well I think you are, Sir!" Addi protested, holding his arms tight as he trembled. "You're a great teacher, you always help your students, take care of us-"

"But I'm a monster!" He yelled as if trying to convince her.

She shook her head again, "Stop it, Professor-"

"I'm a monster because I left you!"

It seemed as if everything around her froze, and her breath hitched in her throat. Dropping her arms to her sides she choked out, "What?"

His red eyes burned into her own which were welling with tears, he gulped. "Born June 21st, 1980 at St. Thomas Hospital. 10:42 AM, a baby girl was born..." Addi felt the hot tears spill out and down her cheeks as he continued. "She was six pounds and seven ounces. Her eyes were chocolate brown..." He moved his hands up from her arms to cup her cheeks.

"Addison Lyra Tyler...Lupin."