Chapter 32

As Addi stood with two of her best friends, watching the man and creature they had saved soar off into the night, her head cleared. The swirling thought that had plagued her head had now converged into one feeling:

Forgiveness.

The events of the day had taught her that things are complicated and life is short. What would be the point in holding so many negative emotions inside if she was just going to have to resolve them later on? They could turn her insides sour until her soul had rotted into a different being entirely. No longer would she be Addison Tyler, she'd now be but a shell of herself housing that inner turmoil of hate and despair. 

If she could forgive Rose for leaving her, she could forgive Lupin as well. But it was still going to take a good nights rest to sort out everything for sure.

Overhead, the clocktower began to chime. 

Hermione's head snapped up and she let out a small breath as she registered what it meant. "We have to go," she said, taking off in a sprint toward the double doors leading inside. 

Addi and Harry shared a brief glance before chasing after her. They caught up in no time, hopping up the steps to the hospital wing. They arrived just in time to see Dumbledore leaving the room, his back to them. Upon hearing their approaching footsteps however, he turned to them. 

"Well?" the man asked them with an expectant look. 

"He's free. We did it," Harry told him through breathless panting. 

"Did what?" Dumbledore replied, taking on a clueless role. He sent them a wave as he departed down the stairs, "Goodnight."

"The fu-" Addi groaned as Hermione elbowed her in the side. She hunched over, sending the girl a glare, "Ow."

"Watch your language," Hermione replied, stepping forward. "Come on."

The three pushed open the doors, hesitating for a moment to let their former selves disappear from the room. Once they were gone, they fully entered the room, Ron's eyes widened in confused disbelief. 

"How did you get there?" He pointed at the middle of the room where the previous versions of them stood. "I was just talking to you there, and now you're there."

Addi giggled when the redhead's voice cracked, Hermione huffing out a chuckle as well. "What's he talking about, Harry?"

"I dunno." The boy grinned. "Honestly, Ron, how could somebody be in two places at once."

Together again, the group all sagged in relief. Their problems were all solved.

For now.

~~~

Two days after the events,  Addi finally got out of bed. She'd spent the majority of those two days sleeping and healing her sore body and shallow cuts. There was one on her eyebrow and a few on her arms and legs.  A prominent bruise spread across her upper back from when her spell for Lupin also sent her flying. 

But because of all her resting, she was able to sort through her thoughts and feeling to figure out what she was going to do about Lupin- her father. She still wasn't used to calling him that. Addison had decided to forgive him, and give him a chance, and she was proud for allowing herself to be that emotionally vulnerable. As she descended the stairs from the girl's dormitory, headed for Lupin's office, someone halted her in the common room. 

"What happened to your face, Addikins?"

The blond turned around to give him a sheepish grin," Hi, Freddie. I might have gotten to close to the Whomping Willow."

He gave her a stern glare before wrapping his arms around her short frame," My silly Addi."

Her cheeks heated up as she nudged him off her, "Shut up, you goof." 

"Where are you headed off to?" He asked.

"Just thought I would take a walk," she told him. "I got some news, so I thought I would go try to clear my head."

Fred ruffled her hair, "Alright, Addi. But if you want some company, you know how to find me."

Ignoring the wink he sent her, Addi gave a playful scoff and exited the Gryffindor common room through the portrait hole. 

Every once and a while she would pass by other student, giving them a quick or formal greeting, maybe even just a smile or nod. Despite her solidified plan, her pace was slow. She knew she was stalling, but no matter how hard she tried, Addi could not make her legs move any faster. Not to mention the fact that she was taking a major detour to the kitchen. 

As she approached the pear painting, a head of platinum blonde hair emerged from the dungeon corridor. With wide eyes, Addison spun on her heal and tried to get away-

"Addi!"

-Damn.