6| Pearlescent

* Misgendering

Angelo

The day my life officially changes has arrived. I'm taking full lead. Steering directly into my own chance at independence. Maybe happiness will follow.

The speakeasy will officially open it's s doors, allowing people to get a taste of magic. It will be all inclusive so everyone can feel safe regardless of their race, gender or sexuality. Back home, I was a frequent visitor to the nightlife scene. There was something special about feeling the veil of darkness, almost like a comfort blanket. The street lights transform into your spotlights, lighting up your make up, glitter and soul. The contentment you feel when allowing yourself to become your true self is intoxicatingly freeing.

I saw my best friend struggle for years with his body dysmorphia. The self hatred and worthlessness he felt, knew no bounds. When he finally felt confident to come out as his true self, his parents destroyed him. I still remember him recounting their poisonous words through heart wrenching sobs.

"Aren't you kind of young to make that decision"
"Don't think we'll support this"
" Your our daughter"
"Say goodbye to your inheritance"
"Get out of our house now"

In contrast, I was ecstatic for him. I thanked him for sharing it with me and gave him a massive hug. I also thanked him for trusting me. We spent the next couple of hours laying on my bed, scoffing down ice cream and talking about pronouns. More specifically which he would like to use.

Lorenzo lived with me for the next couple of years. Turns out he didn't need the inheritance, he became the world's youngest billionaire at 18. A total kick in their entitled, snobbish faces.

The speakeasy is a somewhat homage to our friendship. When we were younger, we would search for pearls at the beach. Most of the time, we found nothing but when we did it lit up our seven year old faces. A more superficial reason is, I totally rock pearls.

My beautiful memories with Lorenzo inspired the name for the speakeasy.

Pearlescent

I hope to help others become the best versions of themselves at my speakeasy. I love the feeling of saying 'my speakeasy'. No more relying on my parents, I'm finally building a life for myself. I would be damned before I let anyone take that away from me.

It's something especially rare, that even makes me smile thinking about it. In contrast, my adorable cafe has minor adjustments left. Some fairy lights and plants also need to be added. It will be completed sooner rather than later.

Following Mika's attack by that moron Billy, we became much closer. Watching movies all day, eating an endless amount of waffles and gossiping. He's a little cinnamon roll who wouldn't enjoy his company.

I had actually invited him to the grand opening of Pearlescent. His tiny body instantly fell into a coma of sadness. The excuse given was work. I had been experiencing a different side to Mika. This Mika looked like he was helplessly trapped. I sense that there's a lot beneath the surface. For one, no human could work the amount he does.

I'm breaking all my rules with him, but I couldn't help it. He's a breath of fresh air. The world I grew up in was cold and callous. Your money and influence determined your worth. I found it extremely rare to find genuine people, almost like I was cursed. Almost as if in a past life I had committed a heinous act. Doomed to be alone.

I'm pretty sure Mika wouldn't hurt me like the others. Then again, I had trusted them and look where that got me. I gave them my true self, in turn I was murdered cruelly. My heart was weak to betrayal.

After showering, I enter my bedroom and put on my outfit. A white blazer with no shirt underneath so my chest was partially on show. When I walked, my skin played peekaboo to world. The blazer was paired with some matching pants. I knew that I definitely had to stay clear of the wine. I finish the look of with my favourite pearl necklace, gifted by my Papa. My hair was slicked back and dangling down my back.

I need to show people who was in charge. Taking back the reigns. I had hired someone to hide my presence from the world. Basically, to protect myself so nobody digs up my past. Someone did.

Someone dared to do a background check on me. I found out who this individual was, then the hacker I hired found bank records of who hired him. Someone called Alenksandr Ivanovich Vasiliev.

A powerful business man with ties to the criminal world. He also owns my building unfortunately. I found it hilarious because all he managed to find about me was my name and age. He was under the illusion I was from England. Totally fake, I'm from Italy. I giggled to myself. I'll show him who he messed with.

I finish doing my skincare and apply some strawberry lip balm. I love scented balms, they calm me. I make my way downstairs to the taxi I had called earlier. Another thing to add to my checklist would be to hire a driver.

.....

SOME TIME LATER

I finally reach the building that will change my life forever. For better or for worse. I made my bed, now I would lay in it. Hopefully I made the right choice.

People are queueing like crazy. Lines stretching around the block, like ants waiting to enter their nest. I promptly make my way to the front, only stopping when I hear someone call out to me.

"Hey, get your twink ass to the back of the queue."

I turn around and snap my fingers. Within a second the bouncers remove him from the premises. Trying to calm myself down, I repeatedly chant 'no negative energy' in my head. Taking a few deep breathes, I continue.

It's almost impossible not to admire the speakeasy. Two words that sum it up the most are, utterly breathtaking. It reminds me of all those nights I snook out back home. My past a hauntingly beautiful experience.

I push myself into the present. The beautiful music fills my ears and the laughter echoes. The designs did not do this place justice. We have an array of booths and tables. Seating a deep azure blue, which contrasted with the dark wooden floors perfectly. The main stage is bang in centre and the simple chandeliers added a touch of elegance. The bar is buzzing as waiters dashed to serve people. There's also a small area for people to dance to the wide range of singers we have performing.

The birth of Pearlescent has been great to witness but it's only the beginning. I'm going to leave my mark on the world, this city and all those who doubted me. Let the games begin.

A/N
What do you think of the speakeasy?

Also thoughts on our mysterious Lorenzo?

If you like this chapter, please support the story by voting and commenting.

Thank you for reading :)