27| Orgins Of Riches

Angelo

"What is the first task?" Aleksander asks tightening his hold around me.

I absolutely shouldn't.

But I do.

I find myself cuddling deeper into his warm side, just today I'll over indulge. Tomorrow, I'll return to the normal self reliant Angelo. My eyes meets his unwavering gaze. It's like it's always trained on me. " I need to go to the bank?"

"You know that there's something called online banking?" He teases me with his stupid perfect grin.

" I know I'm not stupid,"  I respond instantly, as Aleksander surprisingly holds my hand in his.  "I need to deposit some money."

I pull my small leather bag closer into my side. This tiny, ugly bag has all the money I stole from my father. If you ask if I regret my actions then my answer would definitely be a firm yes. I'm terrified it's going to be stolen, paranoid that at any moment someone will snatch it away from my grasp. I'll lose my lifeline and one piece away from home. It would probably hinder me building my life up again substantially.

I'm a constant jittery mess and I've been that way for months.

Aleksander's giving me this intense look, more specifically aimed at my bag. It's really weird that he's this concerned. I'm aware that it probably doesn't suit me and that's because it's not mine. I grabbed the first thing that came into view and fled from the scene.  The memory of that day burns vividly in my mind.

1 year ago

I pull up my worn out hoody that I bought from a charity shop outside the hospital. I didn't have the time to worry about fashion, my main aim was to conceal my bright hair. It would definitely allow people to identify me on the CCTV.

In our house, there are hundreds of cameras installed to cover every inch of our property, security guards on patrols at all times and even guard dogs. Luckily, I know every inch of my house.

Slowly and steadily, I creep through the large bushes near my little sisters hedge maze. I've memorised the exact routes the guards take so I can avoid them easily. Eventually, I reach my back door and type in the passcode.

It worked!

The door beeps with a white glow surrounding the keypad as it opens. Now, time for the hardest part, I have to pass the indoor security. I make my way to the the main desk and luckily it's a familiar person on duty tonight.

Giovanni

A promising guard in training that grew up with me and my siblings. He owes my older brother a very large sum of money. Oh and he's my brother's latest lover.

At this point, I honestly don't know who's actually controlling who. This man before me is a force to be reckoned with.

I uncover my hood and see shock cover the hard hearted man's face. He struggles to ask me anything but eventually forces out words of comfort.

"I'm here to talk if you need."

I nod as he allows me to pass through easily.

Those words are enough, Gio has always been this way. I don't think even my brother can change him. At some point, a person has to stop trying to change everyone and accept them for who they are.

I don't think any of my family are here tonight so I'm not cautious when I run into the family living room. It could've easily been my biggest mistake but it's something I'd treasure for a lifetime. Having one last walk around my childhood home.