Chapter 56

***
Hi! Please make sure you read the previous chapters before reading this one. There has been a significant decrease in my most recent chapters (almost 1000 readers down) and I don't want anyone to miss anything! Enjoy :)
***

Peering out the window, my eyes try to lock onto every passing object, in hopes of distracting the nauseating feeling of anxiety that is building within me. My heart pounds rapidly against my chest as I swallow the invasive lump in my throat, my hands feeling clammy and my knees beginning to restlessly bounce.

Startled from Harry placing his hand on my knee to cease the bouncing, my wild eyes shoot over to meet his worried ones. "Sam," Harry sighs, his voice full of concern. "It won't be good for anyone if you go into this like a nervous wreck."

"You're right. I'm sorry," I huff, feeling aggravated with myself as I look back out the window.

Why am I always so scared? Why can't I just be like Harry? He's always so fearless and determined while I'm always timid and anxious.

"Don't be sorry, love. This is why I wanted you to stay in the car though. You don't need to be putting yourself through this shit."

"It's fine, Harry. If we are going to be together, I need to get used to this lifestyle- to your lifestyle," I state, directing my gaze back towards Harry who stares at me with a baffled expression- almost as if he's taken aback from my statement. I mean, I'm not wrong; this is the way his life is.

Shaking his head in disapproval, his vision returns back to the road as he purses his lips together. Without another word, Harry extends his hand out towards the radio before turning it on, drowning out the awkward silence. His fingers twist the knob as he begins to scan through the radio stations. Skipping over numerous songs, he momentarily pauses when the infamous alarm, that has been ingrained in my head ever since the law was passed, blares through the speaker.

Before he can change the station, I shoot my hand out to rest on top of his, stopping him from turning the knob. He glances over to me with a hesitant look before I speak. "Don't change it."

I remove my hand and he follows along, placing his hand back on the steering wheel as I listen to the radio interruption. With my eyebrows pinched together in focus, it doesn't take me long to realize that they are giving their weekly kill count.

"As of today, January 13th, the number of deaths counted for so far is 111 million. The number of remaining deaths that are needed to lift the law is 40 million. Thank you and remember: a nation that is underpopulated is a nation that will prosper," the announcer proclaims in a monotone, almost robotic, voice.

And just like that, the announcement cuts out and static begins to burst through the speakers as Harry quickly turns it off, staring at me with intense eyes, like he's afraid to see how I will react.