13 Falling

The shot echoed in my ears and I let go of the barrel of the gun as if it were on fire. With my eyes wide open, I saw Richard fall to the ground. Everything happened in slow motion. The muffled bang as the gun also fell to the ground and the voices that finally reached us. How the blood spread on the floor under him and how he held his wound on his thigh with a pain-distorted face to stop the bleeding.

My heart was beating so fast and hard that I could hear it in my ears. My breathing was also fast. Warm hands were on my shoulders and even without looking I knew it was Damian. My body instinctively knew it was him. The tingling sensation that was always there whenever he touched me was present now.

Slowly, probably so as not to startle me, Damian turned me around to face him. I looked up at him and saw the shocked and worried look in his eyes.

I hardly noticed anything else around us. How doctors and security gathered around Richard. Or the questions I was bombarded with from everyone. More and more people joined the group. But my gaze remained firmly on Damian.

"Baby, are you okay? Did he hurt you?" he asked in a shaky voice.

"I... I'm okay... I guess." I mumbled. My voice sounded rough and low.

Immediately Damian pulled me into his arms and just held me tight. So he let me know that I was not alone and that everything would be fine. I also wrapped my arms tightly around him. Just like I had done earlier today, but this time it was for different reasons. I clung to Damian as if he were my lifeline.

When what had just happened slowly reached me, I began to sob and my whole body shook violently.

Then suddenly I felt a sharp pain and groaned. Damian immediately let go of me and looked down at me. With both hands I clutched my belly and doubled over in pain. 

"What is it? Y/N, tell me what's wrong?" he asked in a panic.

But I was unable to answer. The pain was too intense. And then I felt it. I felt the blood running down my legs.

"You... you're bleeding. Did he get you?" Damian stuttered as he tried to understand what was happening. His eyes wandered along my legs, looking for whatever was causing the bleeding.

"This... that's... not it. I... I... I... know that feeling. I... have... a miscarriage." I whispered as I blacked out and felt myself falling.

Before I could hit the ground, Damian caught me. That was the last thing I felt before my consciousness slipped away. And yet I was still falling. Deeper and deeper.

What was supposed to be one of the best days of our lives turned into a nightmare. All I wanted was to surprise Damian and make his day that much more memorable. And it was, but not in the way I had imagined.