22 It's time

I was lying in bed and finally tried to find some sleep, but I just could not. Instead, I turned restlessly from one side to the other. After a while, I got sick of it and got up.

I definitely didn't want to wake Damian up. He should really get some rest. I could feel how nervous and excited he was. Every day we got closer to the due date of our angel, the more stressed Damian became. He could hardly wait to finally hold his daughter in his arms.

Now he was finally at home with me for the next few weeks and didn't have to go on tour. I think if he would have had to be on the road until the end, it would have driven him crazy at some point.

He wanted to be by my side the whole time in case I needed anything or the birth started. It was really cute and I really couldn't ask for a better man by my side. And it made me all the more grateful for his persistence back in the day.

If I wasn't able to sleep, I might as well pursue the occupation that was making me jittery at the moment. The nesting. Actually, everything was prepared for the arrival of the baby, but that did not stop me to move things back and forth or to sort the clothes of the little ones again and again.

After an hour, when I was satisfied with everything, I was about to go back to bed when I felt a twinge in my stomach. I had had this on and off for a few days, but the doctor said it was normal. Only when the pain came at regular intervals should I make my way to the hospital. I tried not to panic, even though it was hard. This had been the most painful contraction so far. 

Carefully I lay down in bed again and kept an eye on the clock. To sleep was now really no longer to think. After 20 minutes came the next contraction and this was also a little stronger. Restless I got out of bed again and looked for things to wear. Also for Damian I put everything what he needed ready. Just in case it was not a false alarm and it was really happening.

When I had prepared everything and got dressed I went to the kitchen to make myself a cup of tea. But even before the water in the kettle began to boil, the next contraction came. Again exactly after 20 minutes.

Maybe I should wake Damian after all. I waddled back into the bedroom and sat down next to him on the edge of the bed. I gently stroked his cheek.

"Damian? Baby, wake up!" I said softly. No response.

I lightly shook his shoulder and repeated what I had said before only this time louder. Now he started to wake up.

"What's wrong?" he muttered in a rough, tired voice.

"I think it's time," I replied.

"Time for what?" he breathed.

"Well..." I said and it took a few seconds for his thoughts to catch up with him and realize what I was implying.

"Oh my God, the baby's coming?" he gasped as he jumped out of bed wide awake.

"Are you okay? We'll be at the hospital in a minute! No need to panic!" He babbled, running around the room as if stung by a hornet.

"Damian, please calm down. We have time. I put your things in the bathroom. Get dressed and then we'll be on our way." I explained, hoping he would calm down a bit.

"Okay... okay... why are you being so calm?" I heard him call out from the bathroom.

"I wouldn't count on it staying that way," I replied with a laugh.

While Damian got ready, I slowly waddled toward the front door and waited there impatiently.

"All right, then. Let's go. How are you doing?" he asked as he walked up to me and gave me a kiss on the forehead while his hands gently stroked my belly.

"Still pretty good. Will you please take the bag and the baby carrier?" I said as I looked up at him.

"I will. Oh, wait, I forgot something. I'll be right back!" he replied and was gone again.

"Are you serious? I'm having a baby, mister!" I called after him.

"I am back already," he said as he reappeared in front of me 30 seconds later.

"What was so important? Oh... no, never mind... give me your hand." I gasped in pain as the next contraction hit me. I reached for Damian's hand and squeezed it as hard as I could.

It didn't take long for the pain to go away. I lifted my gaze and looked Damian in the face. 

"Boy, this is hard to watch already. I would really like to take this off your hands." he said in a voice filled with worry.

"I know, baby. But you can't. And if you don't want me to have the baby here, we should probably get going." I replied.

"Okay, come on. I'm already incredibly proud of you and I love you. Please remember that when the pain gets worse." he said to me as he took our things and led me to the car.

"I love you, too. But I can't promise you that I won't curse you. Please remember that no matter what words I throw at you, I don't mean them," I replied as we sat in the car and drove off.