18 What the future holds

A few weeks have now passed since our shared emotional breakdown and things between us were almost back to the way they were before. We were certainly not perfect, but we were now trying to be even more responsive to each other's feelings and needs.

We had always done that, but after the miscarriage and the death of Richard it had been even more important that we kept nothing to ourselves. Only by talking about everything that was bothering us, we could process it. The laughter and joy returned to our lives and made each day a little easier.

By now it was another Tuesday before noon and I was anxiously awaiting Damian's arrival. Nervously, I walked up and down in the living room. I just could not sit still. The minutes seemed to be infinitely long. Why did it take so long today? 

Finally, finally the key turned in the lock and the door opened. I barely let him in the door. Immediately I threw myself into his arms. Damian was a little surprised by my action, but didn't hesitate a bit to drop his bag and return my embrace. 

"Hello, my beautiful darling! What did I do to deserve such a stormy welcome? I'm not complaining, it's great, but unexpected. Shouldn't you be on your way to Full Sail by now?" said Damian as he looked down at me.

"Normally I would, but I called in sick today! I really need to talk to you and there's no way it can wait," I quickly explained.

"Why? Did something happen?" he asked with concern.

"Well, I'm not sure yet. I wanted to wait for you to find out." I replied with a grin, waiting for him to understand what I was implying.

"What do you mean... Oh my God!" he gasped.

"Don't get too excited, D. I'm not sure. It's just... I'm late. But I didn't want to do a test until you were with me," I said to dampen his enthusiasm a bit.

"Well, what are we waiting for? Do you have a test here or should I make a quick run to the store to get one?" Damian asked me.

"I already have one here. What do you say, baby? Ready to find out what the future holds for us?" I wanted to know as I looked up at him with sparkling eyes.

"More than ready!" he replied, dragging me after him into the bathroom.

"Okay, okay. You wait outside. That's otherwise really weird when you watch me pee." I explained, pushing him and his pouty face out the door.

Since I had already read the instructions and it was not my first pregnancy test, I knew how it worked. Basically, all tests were the same, more or less. Only in time they sometimes differed.

I did what I had to do, washed my hands and then went to Damian with the test in my hand. Now he was the one pacing up and down the room nervously. I cleared my throat to get his attention. Immediately he came to me and took me in his arms.

Like that we held each other until the timer on my phone went off, signaling that it was time to find out if our lives were going to change or not.

I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and looked at the test in my hand.

"Congratulations, Mr. Priest! You're going to be a daddy!" I said as tears of joy were already welling up in my eyes.

"Is this true? You're pregnant?" he asked softly.

"Yes, Damian, I'm pregnant," I confirmed.

He leaned down and gave me a passionate, sweet kiss that expressed so much love. Damian was so happy, I could just feel it in my bones.

Before I knew what was happening to me, he had already picked me up and spun me around. I squealed with delight.

"Maybe you shouldn't do that! It might end badly for both of us otherwise!" I laughed and he immediately understood what I was implying.

"I'm sorry! Are you all right? I'm so happy!" he replied and then covered my whole face with kisses.

Then he knelt on the floor in front of me and lifted my shirt. Damian sighed and then pressed his lips to my stomach. Just like he had done when I had shown him my scars. And again I held his head. 

"Daddy can't wait until he can hold you in his arms, my little angel. Te quiero mucho." he whispered against my belly.

When he said how much he loved the baby even more tears just ran down my cheeks. I was so grateful for this wonderful man and for this beautiful moment.

Our dream baby would have the best father in the world. And I was sure that the baby already had his daddy wrapped around his finger.