The Angel of a Beautiful Present

PART TWO

-------------------------------------

After I blacked out, I could still feel my stomach do a hundred somersaults. Time slowed down to almost a sudden halt.

I opened my eyes, and I gasped.

I was back on the white platform, but something was off. I looked around, confused for a second, but I felt a soft sensation on the back of my head. I shot up out of my trance and turned around.

"M-Maricana!" I exclaimed.

My face went red. I realized that I was resting with my head in her lap. I rubbed the side of my head, and suddenly everything came crashing down. The fight with the Third Eye, the glitches, the school...

"What happened after I blacked out?" I asked with a shaky breath. There was no telling what happened. Hell, I could be dead.

That last thought made me snap my head at Maricana. However, she smiled warmly.

"Ease your thoughts, Noah," she reassured, and I calmed down. "You and Jacob did an amazing job out there, even without my help."

I tilted my head. "Was that you that I felt in the basement?"

Maricana nodded. "Precisely. One thing that you should know, Noah, is that I have the ability to alter the present. I cannot reverse or forward time, but I can slow it down and change the way the present is scripted."

I understood to an extent, but I nodded anyway. "Okay, but why did you decide to help me in the first place?"

She raised her chin. "Noah, my sister has informed us that war is on the horizon. The war between Heaven and Hell will come without fail. We cannot do this alone, so we have chosen people who are willing to sacrifice their lives for the greater good, people who are kindhearted, loving, and compassionate for one another. We have long believed that you are the perfect candidate for this war."

I frowned. "But I never even agreed to do this."

Maricana's gaze shifted, but she smiled as if she already knew the answer. "If the opportunity lay in front of you, would you have agreed to take the challenge on?"

I looked down at the platform below me. After a few seconds, I looked back up at her and smiled. "You already know my answer, don't you?"

She turned her head and raised her eyebrows. "Of course I do. That's why I chose you."

I didn't say anything after that. Maricana stood up and offered me a hand to which I accepted. She looked at me for a few seconds before she spoke.

"Your journey is still far from over," she started. "You still have much left to overcome. There will certainly be obstacles for you to conquer, some much more challenging than others. However, please do remember something."

She descended back down to my level and placed her hand on my cheek. "Remember that you will never be alone. You have built many new relationships."

Maricana stroked my cheek with her thumb for a second before pulling away. She lowered her gaze. "But also remember, you will lose relationships as well. All I ask is for you to do your best."

"I will try to the best of my abilities, Maricana," I said, partially trying to reassure her.

She smiled. "Thank you. When you wake, you will find yourself in an unfamiliar environment. But I have faith that you can overcome this first obstacle. I believe in you, Noah."

I smiled in return and nodded.

-----------------------------------------------

After Jacob had face-planted on the ground, he rolled off of Noah and rubbed his eyes to stop the flashing that came from the portal.