A Future to Come

That night after we came home to the beach, we decided to check back into the same motel as before. The woman at the desk looked at us and smiled.

"Staying another night?"

I smiled. "Yes ma'am. Same as before."

She gave us the same room as before. We took the elevator up and made our way up to the room. Once we opened the door, Sayori ran up to her shared up bed with Monika and threw herself on it.

"Aah," she said. "This feels nice."

"I want to take a shower," Monika announced. "Anyone want to go before me?"

I waved my hand. "No, you can go ahead. Just don't waste all of the hot water."

As she climbed in, I picked out my clothes to wear for the night. Yuri came up to me as she did the same.

"Did you have fun?" she asked softly.

I gave her a warm smile. "Yes, I did. It was fun to watch you and the others drown Jacob.

"My head still hurts from that," he called out. "Just saying."

I sneered at him playfully. "I'm sure you still enjoyed it, though."

He shrugged and tried to make himself seem innocent. "I don't know what you're talking about. Sayori genuinely tried to hold me under."

The girl looked up from still having her face in the blanket. "What? It was fun!"

Yuri and I laughed. I was glad we decided to go to the lake. I could tell that the girls enjoyed having fun, and I considered going again. It was just the matter of what the next day had in store for us.

After a total of about an hour, the four girls had all took turns taking showers, and Sayori came to me and said that we were out of shampoo.

"Did you check under the sink?" I asked.

"No, but I'll go check."

I followed her into the bathroom. She crouched down and opened the cabinet. "No, I don't see any in here."

"Alright," I said. "Do you want to come with me to the front desk to ask for some?"

She smiled. "Sure!"

The truth was, I felt better having company after last night's incident in the laundry room. If something happened, Sayori would be there to witness it and hopefully run back to the room and get help. It was the feeling of security.

I told the group that we'd be back, and Jacob called out to me right before I left.

"Hey, Noah!"

I walked back to see him next to Yuri in the bed. She was reading a book. He tossed something at me, and I barely caught it. It was his pocketknife.

He nodded seriously. "Trust no one."

"I'll be careful," I said as I clipped the pocketknife onto my waistband. "Thanks, man."

Sayori and I took our time getting down there. As we neared the elevator, she asked me an interesting question.

"Who was the Third Eye, exactly?"

I twitched my neck. "He was a being who wanted control of your world."

"Why our world, though?"

I pressed the button. As we waited, I glanced at her. "I don't know the answer to that. Why do you ask?"

The door opened, and we stepped in. I pressed the button to the ground floor and leaned back against the wall. Sayori did the same.