The Plan

"What's going on?" Sayori asked us a third time as we wandered through the halls around the club nervously. 

"Don't worry about it, Jacob just needs to talk to Yuri for a bit," Monika repeated. "It'll be fine." 

Sayori didn't say anything else. Natsuki was holding my hand, and she was shaking. I looked at her and slowly nodded. She took a deep breath and continued walking. 

I had never seen Monika this stressed before. She ran her hands through her hair. "I hope Jacob doesn't mess this up. Not now." 

"I believe in him," I said with certainty. 

She looked at me. "Why?" 

"He's my best friend," I answered. "He loves Yuri, so he'll do whatever he needs to do to protect her. It's really that simple." 

Monika smiled, which warmed my heart. "Alright, then." 

Then, I heard a thump on the wall. I ran over and let go of Natsuki's hand. I glanced through the window, and Yuri and Jacob were on the ground in each other's arms. I looked to the left near the fire alarm in the classroom, and saw the knife, with no blood on it.  

I slid against the wall and onto the floor. "He did it, he did it. I knew he could do it." 

Monika sighed in relief and sat down next to me. "You were right. He did it." 

Finally, I heard the doorknob rattle and I immediately stood back up. Jacob and Yuri came out of the room, and Jacob looked like he was ready to faint at any second. Yuri looked as if she had just finished attending a funeral. 

I gave Jacob a hug, and he patted me with his hand. "We're good now, man. She's alright." 

We released each other, and I nodded. I glanced at the time displayed on the wall. "Seems like we missed the festival, but why don't we celebrate back at my house?" 

Natsuki gives me a golden smile. "I was wondering. Can't let my cupcakes go to waste!"

We finally were ready to walk home. Jacob asked me if Yuri could stay with us, and I agreed that she could. we started to walk home with five this time, but before we left, I realized Monika would be walking home alone. 

"Hey, Monika, why don't you come with us?" I asked. 

"Yeah! It would be fun!" Sayori said. 

I meant it, of course. There was no reason that she should be excluded from the group. The only bad part was, there would be four girls and two guys in a small house. I figured if Monika and Sayori either share a bed or someone takes the couch, we would be fine. 

"I don't see why not," Monika said with a satisfied smile. 

We arrived back home, and all of us were pretty exhausted after today. Sayori found a recliner and crashes in it while Monika crashed on the couch. Jacob and Yuri walk outside to talk about something, which left me and Natsuki, who hasn't spoken since we were at school. 

"Hey Nat, you okay?"

Natsuki sighed. "I don't know Noah. This whole thing about being in a game just...scares me I guess. It's a lot to take in."

"I know. It scares me too," I reassured. "We just have to come up with a plan is all." 

Natsuki looked confused. "What plan?"

"To be honest, I haven't really thought about it yet," I explained. "It's been so busy, I haven't had time. The most time I've really had was over the weekend."